1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings for Certain Basses

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kirkm24, Apr 19, 2009.

1. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I love DR Hi Beams on my Fender Jazz but when I put them on my Stingray, I hated them. I thought they were way too bright and clacky sounding. When I had had a Stingray before, my favorite strings were actually Ernie Ball Slinkys. So I guess the point of my post is, some strings sound better on some basses than others. There isn't an across the board best string for all basses if your picky about it.

2. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Yeah i notice the same phenomenom with certain strings on my basses. Just a matter of trying different things till you find the string you need, and then stocking up when you find a deal..

Don't know of any treads?
    Guys help?

3. I have to agree. Their are certain types and certain gauges of strings that just make some basses come alive while others may not do much for that bass's sound. I have ten different basses with four different brands of strings on them, in three different gauges.
    This leaves much expeimentation to find the right string set for a bass, which is expensive, so when I find the perfect set for a bass, I tend to leave that set on it and replace it with the same.

4. I definitely agree with your point, but have to disagree with "some strings sound better on some basses than others".

Certainly different strings sound different, as do different basses. But playing style is also a variable; one string might soar when fingered over the neck pickup while another's best is when slapping. The 'target sound' is also a large variable, even restricting the view to just one bassist in one band.

5. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well obviously, playing style plays a factor too and everyone has personal preferences so for me to say a set is better than another is just my opinion based on my preferences. I love the Hi Beams so much on my Jazz that I really wanted to like them on my Stingray to but they just don't seem to sound as good.

6. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    I love D'Addario Chromes and had them on two of my basses. Wasn't real happy with the sound on the TBC AP500M. Seemed "dry" to me--no other way to describe it. Put DR Lowrider stainless on it yesterday and I really like it.

I'll keep the Chromes on the L2500; it just sounds great.

7. I prefer "Better for me" to "better". I see this as a subjective view, not an objective one.