1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for D G C F Bb on Squier Contemporary Active JB

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by steve urick, Dec 13, 2018.

1. steve urick

steve urick

Dec 13, 2018
    Hello. I am new to bass, and having fun. I recently picked up a Squier Contemporary Active Jazz Bass and want to try tuning it to D, G, C, F, Bb. I live in Japan. I am wondering, is my best bet to find a 6 string set with a medium gauge and toss the B string? In this case I would relocate each string to a position below where it is intended for. I figure if the gauge is medium or high (which I can't find) this should work. Will the relocated E string fit okay in the nut even if it is only 105? Can't seem to find any 6 string sets with anything thicker than 105 for the bass string. And I haven't found a good way to buy single strings here yet...

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Before you buy anything, tune your E string down to D. Is it too floppy or is it acceptable? That will start to tell you what gauge you want for the new tuning.

Always use measurements with strings, not "medium" or "high". Those words mean different things to different manufacturers and will only cause confusion down the road. Also, it's 0.105, not 105. Decimal inches.

Smaller strings will always fit in larger slots. Just make sure you have the string wound down to the bottom of the tuner post so that there's good downward pressure on it. That will hold it securely in the slot so it won't move around.

steve urick likes this.
  3. Here's one option:

D'Addario EXL160BT set (XL Nickel Rounds, 50-67-90-120) is designed to have roughly the same tension when tuned to D-G-C-F as the EXL170BT (45-60-80-107) tuned to E-A-D-G at approx. 40-42 lbs. per string. All you need is to add a single 32/35 for the high Bb.

steve urick likes this.
  4. steve urick

steve urick

Dec 13, 2018
    Thanks for the information and pointer on clear language!

lz4005 likes this.
  5. steve urick

steve urick

Dec 13, 2018
    Thank you for the suggestion!

6. I tune DGCF with the Billy Sheehan set of Rotosound 66’s. The .110 is perfect for the D while being consistent with the other strings, 34” scale 4-string Fender. When I detune the D to C, it works for occasional use, but loses its consistency and thuds a little bit... which tells me the .110 is about right for the low D without being too thick. There are several sets with slightly different gauges in the set that you can explore.

I don’t know how to get the .030-ish as a single here in Japan (cheap and easily), but if you need them quickly, you can get two different sets of the 66’s to cover the gauges you need now at Amazon.co.jp and look for a way to get the singles later to fill in the highest and lowest strings to complete a second or spare set. Juststrings.com has singles, but their international shipping’s more expensive than just getting the two sets... unless you have access to an APO mailbox or similar to get a normal US shipping price

I am not affiliated with Rotosound or those sites.

steve urick likes this.
  7. steve urick

steve urick

Dec 13, 2018
    Thanks! I may try that.

8. steve urick

steve urick

Dec 13, 2018
    I tried putting the strings on and it feels great so far. I just need to put a few thousand more hours of practice in and I’ll have more of an idea exactly what sound I’m going for. Thanks again; having a lot of fun with the set up. By the way soundhouse in Japan here send me the four string set and the single with no shipping costs.

9. I’ll check soundhouse out, good to know. Good luck with your setup.