Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strings for D-G-C-F tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by morebass!, Aug 3, 2004.

1. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I've been tuning down a whole step on my 4-string jazz bass and wonder if anyone has found some good strings for this. I like nickel roundwound and would think that gauges somewhere in the .050 - .110 might work, or maybe heavier. The lowrider .045-.100 set I have on there now is just too loose. I don't mind 'em a little floppy but it's got to be tighter than this for me. Any recommendations?

2. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    50-110's would work fine. I have D'Addario Chromes regulars, 50-105 and I tune down a half step. They work fine even when I drop to Db. Chromes are flats and so are a little stiffer by nature but I think 50-110 would be fine for step down. I'm not sure what companies to go with, especially if you're looking for nickle rounds (cause I havent used rounds in almost 3 years).

I used to use DR's and really like them a lot. Checking the website, only their lo-riders and hi-beams come in heavy and they're stainless steel. None of their nickel lines were listed as coming in heavy. Here's D'Addario's XL Nickel listing http://www.daddariostrings.com/DADProducts.aspx?ID=3&CLASS=ACBA and their EXP Coated Nickle http://www.daddariostrings.com/DADProducts.aspx?ID=3&CLASS=BCIA

those are the brands i'm familar with, but look around

~trav

3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Do you want high tension strings that will downtune easier? Maybe try some flats?

BTW, I'm a huge Swamp Thing fan. I used to have 80% of his series. I even had the whole series that had his daughter in it (lame). They brought him back in a new series just recently, but I'm too broke too buy even one comic a month. :bawl:

4. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    i used to tune to cgcf a lot...i became a big fan of ghs bass boomers heavy guage...they last long too

5. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Ernie Ball Power Slinkies 55-110

I tune DGCF, sometimes drop C, and I'm happy with these strings. There are actually quite a few threads on this, if you want to search.

6. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Thanks for the advice Hurley. I did a couple more searches and found some threads on it after all. I think I'll try some .055- .110 or thereabouts. That seems like it might still be too loose but it might help my slapping which is still pretty lame but people seem to love. Everytime I slap I feel how drummers must feel playing wipeout. I bust my butt learning Rocco lines that no one hears but play some half-assed (but mercifully short) Larry Graham rippoff and people think I'm a genius. At least I know enough to quit when I'm ahead. ;)

I've also considered getting a set of 5-string TIs and using the B, E, A, D strings for my D,G,C,F respectively. With the low tension it might work well but would be kind of expensive.

Squidfinger - I've never seen the movie or the comics but dig the concept. I live near a marsh and play Fenders and now I'm detuning so things get pretty muddy sometimes so I thought it kinda fit. Hope you can score some of the comix soon.

Any and all comments appreciated.

7. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    ...and doublemuff thanks too. Someone else posted that the heavy boomers were good for this also so it sounds worth a try.