1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings for DEADG

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Vic Winters, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Thinking of tuning my 5 string to DEADG.

Better to use a B or E string for the low D?

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned SUSPENDED

Well, if you mean a D one step below low E, use an E a little thicker than the usual. I use a 105, so I'd say a 110 for the D.

3. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Why would you want to tune your bass DEADG??

4. Well if you are talking about the extremely low D, the one just above the subcontra C#, than maybe you should use a C# string...just a thought.. but more information definitely needs to be provided, i mean if you are just going to tune to the D as in 3rd fret B string, well i dont see the point.

5. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Tune the B up to D.

Why: Because the B on my bass is sloppy, and more tension makes it a bit more useful. Also my band plays in drop D and standard only, so it's also a bit more convenient.

6. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Tuning a B (let's say a 125 or 130) up to a D will give a LOT of tension.. I don't think that's very healthy for your bass.. It wouldn't play very nice either..

A 110 for the D will give you tension enough.. But I still don't see the point in tuning it DEADG..

7. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Did you consider a Hipshot drop tuner? So you just swap the E between E and D?

8. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I don't see what the big deal is, he wants to have a seperate D and E string. Reguardless of how impractical you think it is -- the question on the table is which gauge to use. Probably a 110, seeing as tuning up the B string would add too much tension to the neck.