1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for Dingwall Combustion

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bass4worship, May 12, 2010.

1. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    I just got a new Dingwall Combustion and would like to know what you guy's are using to get the best tone out of your Dingwall basses. The strings that came on the bass sound bad. Any recommend will do.

2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    How are the strings you have falling short?

Dingwall offers several flavors of strings directly - do you know which ones are on there?

I do sets that will work too.

3. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Hmmm. I rather like the Dingwall strings. Zingy but not too clanky. I recorded with my Combustion two days after gettig it and the engineer loved the sound.

Anyway, there is an entire thread on the Dingwall website forum dedicated to string choices. The general consensus fromn Sheldon Dingwall himself is that there are a few brands that will work but, becasue of the 37" B string, it's a crap shoot as to what will fit. I'd also be wary of changing gauges unless you're prepared to adjust the truss rod and action. My impression is that Sheldon did a lot of testing before arriving at this string choice. Bear in mind that the DW strings are tapered and not all brands offer tapered B and E strings.

4. bass4worship

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    Thanks, I'll see what Dingwall have first. I like strings with good bass and mids but not on the Slap ( treble ) side.

5. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    ^^^ This.

My medium length strings were designed with Dingwalls in mind, and if you are looking for non-standard tunings or tension options you can't find elsewhere I am happy to help.

6. bass4worship

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    I learned if you take the control plate off the back you can controll the amount of treble by the dip switches. I set both to off because I don't like to much treble. Check it out. Now the bass sounds so much better.

7. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I haven't tried Circle K strings - they look great and I'll be checking them out at some point coming up.

The other option that seems to match what you're looking for is the LaBella Nickels that TB member BluesCat had designed specifically for Dingwalls. These are my favorite strings ever at the moment.