1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for Drop C 5-String

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Laethyn, Mar 21, 2016.

1. I need some help picking strings. I just ordered the Ibanez Mikro 3/4 scale, 5-string bass. I know I need thicker gauge strings so my E string isn't all floppy, but what gauge is the best gauge?

2. Are you talking about down-tuning the E-string on a fiver down to C? Or, are you talking about tuning the B-string up to C?

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  3. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    Wouldn't you need lighter gauge strings because you're tuning all of them up?

B up to C, E up to F etc

lz4005 likes this.
  4. Drop C, lowering my E to C. CGCFA

5. Zarathustra3

Zarathustra3

Aug 21, 2012
    Dont drop E to C... use a light gauge B string for that. Check out Circle K strings. They have every gauge imaginable. On there website look for a drop tune 5 string set with the lowest at .120. You should be fine.

BonesawMcgraw13 likes this.
  6. +1 for circle k / Kalium. Those strings are great and you can exactly what you need to do what you're trying to do. They even have a tension calculator so you can figure out which gauge will work best for your scale length,

7. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

That would be UP tuning.

lz4005 likes this.
  8. Are we to take it that you normally use EADGC tuning on your 5-string? I have a friend who does this.

mwbassace likes this.
  9. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    Are talking about changing a "standard" 5-string with a low B ( B E A D G) or the lesser used 5-string with a high C (E A D G C)?

Paul beat me to it.

PaulJSmith likes this.
  10. Start with the standard E-A-D-G with a high B instead of C (as in guitar tuning).

Bring the whole thing down one whole step, D-G-C-F-A.
    Then drop down the low D another whole step, C-G-C-F-A.

11. DeadPants182

DeadPants182

Feb 8, 2016
    Texas
    I'm pretty sure that bass has a 28.6" scale, so this set should do the trick.

12. It is a 28.6", but what makes those string better than others? Will those strings bring more tone out of the lower tuning pop?

I assumed Drop C was tuning down since I was loosening my strings, not tightening them.

13. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Just use the factory 5 string set if your tuning CGCFA the shorter scale will keep the tension down. Unless it's some massive .150 or something on it from the factory.

14. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Maybe the confusion is that the bass in question is a Mikro. Don't they come as a EADGC fiver as opposed to a regular long-scale five with the low B? I could be wrong.

15. I'm skeptical of doing that because all the reviews I've seen about the stock strings when people down tune is the top string gets too floppy making it almost unplayable. I've read from a lot of different places to get thicker gauge strings to keep from having floppiness. The one gauge I've seen recommended more than anything are 55's.

16. I BELIEVE the strings will come as EADGB, not EADGC. I will be playing CGCFA. DROP C.

17. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    It comes with a low B (as in BEADG) the existing strings will be fine for Drop C (CGCFA)

Laethyn likes this.
  18. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Your bass came from the factory with strings designed to be tuned BEADG.
    You want to retune it to CGCFA.

Are you talking about tuning the string closest to your head up one half step, or down 11 half steps?
    Are you talking about tuning the rest of the strings up three half steps or down 9 half steps?

If you're tuning all the strings up it isn't a drop tuning. It is a raised tuning.

RickyT likes this.
  19. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Tuning them down that far would entail them falling off of the tuner posts.
    :laugh:

20. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    It would be beyond ridiculous to try to do on a Mikro. Yep.
    But people have tried to do sillier things.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021