strings for ease of playing?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dabluesman, Nov 20, 2000.

1. dabluesman

dabluesman Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    I've got a MIM Fender P-bass. The thing still has its original strings on it. I dont know what size they are but I would like to change them. I have had some difficulty with fret buzz and keeping notes fretted without buzzing out (or should I just say, sloppy playing..) Anyway, would going down in string size help me out? And what do you think of Ernie Ball strings? I use them on my regular guitar but never on a bass.. Can someone recommend a good string size for me to go with, something fairly easy to play but still big enough to have a good sound? I play mainly blues, rock.. Thanks!
  2. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    My fav are Thomastik-Infield Jazz flats, there is no choice on the gauge. Your buzzing, however, is probably a technique or setup problem. Try playing some scales slowly and deliberately and fret almost, but not quite, right on top of the fret. Good luck.
  3. Good all around string. I use it on everything I own, and have for a while. 105-85-65-45. Nickel. Sounds great. Cheap too.

As for the string buzz, you may need a setup job and not even know it.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm with MJB (is that code for MunJiBunga?) on this one. TI Jazz flats play really nice ... really funky gauges, though. My guess is that a 30-dollar setup will go a long way to clearing up the buzz.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would agree with this - string choice probably won't affect this as much as say raising the action or altering the truss rod. A professional set-up, would probably be the best advice in this case.
  6. dabluesman

dabluesman Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    I checked it last night and the strings are wound incorrectly on the peg. A couple of them of come off the top of the peg not the bottom, so I lost pressure on those strings. I still plan on changing them though, i'm just not shure about what size to go with.. Thanks for the comments so far though!