1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

strings for Eb and Drop Db

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flaky Tuna, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Flaky Tuna

Flaky Tuna

Aug 15, 2009
    I have a Warwick Streamer LX 4. I want to play in these tunings... I really like stuff by AIC and Deftones among other rock bands.

I was wondering if there is a set of strings that can do both these tunings (dropping the top string a full step), without needing a constant setup because of failing intonation or loss of tension.

I hear Circle makes great strings... I've been using DR strings. DR sunbeams have been the most set.

2. BKBassDude

BKBassDude

Jun 17, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    If you like DRs check out the DDT sets from them. I use them and change tunings from whole step down-half step down and standard on a regular basis, and they still last and keep their stability.

Oh, and they sound ridiculous for heavy music. So perfect.

3. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Circle K strings is awesome, if you're going to be doing Eb and Db I'd recommend a set from them.

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Circle K's will do ya good.

In my last cover band we had a whole set that was in Eb/Db (or C#) and I was using DR Lo Riders on my Spector NS-2, but that was before CK's were on the market. Now I would use them. Probably a .112 would do fine.

5. Flaky Tuna

Flaky Tuna

Aug 15, 2009
    Thanks for the replies. I might just get a set of standard 112's from Circle K.

6. Flaky Tuna

Flaky Tuna

Aug 15, 2009
    lol I just saw how many types they have (balanced, traditional, drop tuning). This is overwhelming...

Would a balanced standard set of 112 be good? Or should I go with the Drop tuning version..

7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Unless you're really going crazy, I think the Standard should be fine. If you were leaving your bass in Db/C#, I would opt for the Dropped set, but if switching I personally would go Standard.

8. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    For switching tunings the ideal set is one which is tension balanced at the average tuning of D Ab Db Gb. This way the 3 high strings are tension balanced and the lowest string is either slightly tighter in Eb standard, or slightly looser in drop Db. The tension imbalances are minimised.

The way to choose gauges is to choose a balanced set with the gauges you like for the 3 high strings, then compare the standard-tuning and drop-tuning sets and choose a gauge inbetween for the lowest string. For example.

You choose .084 .061 .043 for the 3 high strings.

Balanced 112: .112 .084 .061 .043

Drop tune 124: .124 .084 .061 .043

Choose single strings: .118 .084 .061 .043

9. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    You might have luck ordering the 112 set and asking for the thickest string to be swapped out. Since the prices are the same I believe.

10. slaphappychappy

slaphappychappy

May 25, 2011
    i didnt even know there was a heavier gauge on a 4 string than 110. I learnt something, and am off to investigate now.