1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for EBMM

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ergodynebass, Aug 10, 2007.

1. I know this is kind of beating a dead horse here since pretty much everyone I know with one of these is running ebmm slinky strings but.... I recently got a Stingray and the guy who had ti sold it with some super slinkys. I think they feel aright as in you can slide around on them alright but they tear my fingers up really bad, haven't had a set like that in a while. I remember trying a Stingray out in the store last week with most likely the stock regular slinkys and it had more bottom end punch and it felt great. Is there something I'm missing? I normally run DR lowriders on my 5 string and I love them but they lack a lot of the highs I use for slapping but they don't tear up my fingers any. Should I just go with a set of DR lo riders on my stingray or go for just regular slinkies?

2. HMZ

HMZ

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I like the DR Low Riders better.

3. musicmansf

musicmansf

Jul 23, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Rotosounds!!!!

4. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    are the lo riders "tighter" feeling than the slinkeys?

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    That seems odd to me that EB strings would tear your fingers up, and other wouldn't. Never really noticed a difference in the wind of the string. Are you sure they're the same guage as what you're used to? That may have more to do with it than the brand. As for choosing what strings will work best I think it always comes down to personal preference. There are too many variables in the way people play for and one string to be better than another. People sweat differently, use different technique, and go for entirely different sounds. I think the only way to know whats going to work is to try out different strings. I stick with EBs or D'adarrios on all my basses.

6. No, I never use EB slinkies. I have been using DR lo riders or I think the set I used before that was D'adarrio this was on my 5 string. I've had several basses in the past though I think I just ran cheap ones on since I didn't have any money. The DR's on my 5 string are the thickest gauge I could find and they feel great to the fingers. The guy who I bought the Stingray from says the bright strings are the best for it so I was thinking that would be more my level since the whole reason I got it was for slapping. I dunno it just felt so much nicer in the store than now, seemed like it had more lows when you slapped the E string.

7. Slinkys are very good strings and they are priced right. I have them on my Bongo. I believe thats what they come with from Ernie Ball.

8. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I've got Dean Markley SR2000's (Will Lee gauge set) on mine and they sound and feel good.

9. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I usually play on super slinkies because with my store discount I get them for like 15 bucks.

My ray is getting set up right now, and I splurged and got some DR marcus miller 5s to throw on it. I had lo-riders on it before but it cost way too much to restring.

I always use lightest gauge possible. Sounds better to me... and feels better.

10. Try DR Low Rider Nickel or DR Sunbeams. To me, EB basses sound better with nickel strings. Or if you can find them or order them, try SIT Rock Bright Nickels. Not a popular but very good string.

11. JLW

JLW

Dec 5, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    +1

I agree. I use Fender 7150 Pure Nickels on mine.

It gives you a bit more low end and mid-range emphasis but at the same time it sounds very good for slap. Overall a slightly warmer tone. It might give you a bit more low-end. You might not have to buy Fender 7150's, but just any pure nickel string will probably do the job.

12. UBU

UBU

Nov 15, 2006
    NYC
    I like sunbeams on a ray. They take the edge off a little, and they have a juicy finger vibe.

13. SR4- TI Jazz Flats
    SR5- TI Jazz Rounds

14. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I have Elixers on all 3 of my MM basses.Started using them a couple of years ago,and haven't looked back.

15. stingray666

stingray666

Jun 12, 2007
    On my SR4HH, I've tried everything. Marcus' were too pingy, but felt good, Sunbeams sounded a little dark, but felt great. John Pearse 6000's sounded like the voice of Doom, but felt tight/ stiff. You name the brand, I've tried it. The best cheap-ass deal i found is............

wait for it.................

Fender stainless. Really. Ssound like Marcus' without the ping, feel good, and seem to hold up. YMMV, but, hey, try 'em. Markley Nickel Blue Steels are good, too, if you can find them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------