1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings For Epiphone Viola....

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ZenG, May 8, 2015.

1. They list this bass as 30.5" shortscale.

My store emp told me it was medium scale....

What strings does this bass take?

2. This is where the question of "scale length" vs. "winding length" comes in.

Measure the physical distance between where the ball end sits and where the string clears the nut. That's the "winding length" you need.

Then refer to this chart to determine what you need to fit the bass.

ksawa likes this.
  3. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Broadkaster.JPG You've probably found out by now that you need medium scale-length strings for your Epi. Some companies make strings especially for basses like that, but they're still medium scale length. It's a long way back to that trapeze tail piece, which is what uses up the extra length. And some short scale basses are even worse. This is my '94 Gretsch Broadkaster; it's a 30.5" scale, but because of the big body and the distance back to the tailpiece, it's about 40" from there to the top tuners. Those strings in the picture are long scale EB Hybrid Slinkys. And I didn't have to cut much off, either..:)

4. I have not as yet bought the Epi...I'm still in "research" mode.....

Thanks for the advice........:thumbsup: