Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings for EUBs and other variants

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Aleph5, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Aleph5

Aleph5

Feb 24, 2004
    Tennessee
    I'm wondering what strings I can fit on my EUBs that use EBG size eyelets at the normal tailpiece end. One of the basses could use Velvet or gut-type tail loops, so I think I'd just need to worry about length and maybe the length of the cloth wrapping. Do any other non-gut strings, besides Velvets, use the loops? And do all guts?

The other EUB in question requires EBG-size eyelets—no loops. Is there any hope other than custom strings? Maybe the Baby Bass size of the LaBella black nylons employs small eyelets. Can anyone confirm? (Francois?) Both of these basses are Moses graphites.

Thanks.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Jargar (steel) strings have removeable balls so you can mount them both ways.
    Pirastro Eudoxas, Olivs and Chordas all come with a ball end.
    What do you mean by EBG-size eyelets?
    Very small balls?
    What's the problem with using ball ends strings since most strings come that way?
    Is it just a lenght issue?

3. Aleph5

Aleph5

Feb 24, 2004
    Tennessee
    OK, "balls" and not "eyelets." URB strings' may be more like balls, but this bass has an EBG steinberger-type bridge (w/ integrated tuners to accommodate its headless neck) and thus uses EBG string terminations there: little doughnuts with a notch around the circumference for the string to hold it. The same as most any EBG string, I think, except this bass has a 42" scale and EBG strings are not as varied in flavor/material as URB strings.

Moses got their URB scale strings from LaBella, which are like long EBG flats (and I have some roundwound versions too). I would just like to be able to try some good URB pizz types.