Strings For Fender P

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jack, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    For the record, I have searched, but the engine wont search for 'p' because its too short, my quest was in vain. :D

Right, I have a Fender P, that needs some new strings soon. So far Ive used the standard strings (nice, anyone know what they are???) Rotosound Swingbass (45-105) which were alright, but died quickly.

I like a strong, agressive tone that has been called 'dark' before. Any ideas? I have no clue about strings, but Im thinking some nice flats?

Thanks for helping me out.

PS - Im in the UK, if it helps or hinders any.
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    String choice is an extremely personal thing and, unfortunately, can only really effectively be accomplished by trying different sets. That said...

I prefer flats on a P. I've used the Labella Jamerson set for years (very heavy gauge and high tension) but am currently enjoying D'Addario Chromes on my new Hanewinckel 4. TI Jazz flats are also loaded with tone, especially mids and upper register, but are VERY low tension and too light for some players. And Fender flats are a pretty good place to start as they're reasonably consistent with plenty of bottom and smooth response.

Happy hunting! :cool:

3. ...I agree!D'Addario Chromes are great!
  4. I'm considering ordering a set of the Labella Jamersons for my P-bass too, though they seem a little heavy...maybe the Medium set of Labella flats, gee they're $10 cheaper than the Jamersons....I've got a set of Labella mediums on a Yamaha and they are very good.

I also like the Chromes, got them on my Warwick 5.
  5. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Thanks, thats another thing I forgot to mention. I like a heavier gauage, otherwise me E is too floppy when plucked. Might have a look at those Jamerson strings. :)
  6. Fender Basses come stock with fender strings on them. Can't really say which but contact a Fender dealer and they can help you.
  7. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Flats: Chromes are cool,but more bright than dark. One thing to consider is the metal: stainless steel tends to have good sustain, are somewhat bright and chew up your fingers. Nickel has less sustain with good thump and is probably what you mean by dark. I'd say try SIT powerflats because they come in heavier gauges, are nickel and cheap. I think Jamersons are nickel, but I'm not sure. They are more expensive than SIT. Go to