1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings for Fender Precision

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by thefruitfarmer, Apr 21, 2006.

1. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    A few months ago I traded my Rickenbaker 4001 in for a new bass.

I have just restrung my S1 precision bass with some Rotosound "rotobass" standard gauge strings.

45 65 85 105

They are okay...but

.....what I am finding is that the bottom E is not ringing as true as with the original strings that came with the bass and although I like the little extra zing I don't really like the feel of these strings.

What I want is strings that give a rich and full tone in the bottom E string. I wanted the precision for the heavy bottom end, which is now somewhat lacking.

Can anyone suggest me some suitable strings?

I am working through Tony Oppenheim's "Slap it!" at the moment so I want strings good for slapping but I also play finger funk and some rocky lines as well....

Do I want to have my cake and eat it?

Or is there something out there?

2. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    Flats if you're talking mid-60's and earlier sound. Not considered to be the best for slapping, however, but some people like them just fine.

3. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    Thanks Bad

but I have a preference for roundwounds

should have said that in the original post really

4. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    No one string does it all for me. I like rounds for modern tones, so one of my basses has them. The rest I string with flats. It's me. If I were in your situation, I'd try harder on the EQ. If that didn't do it, I'd try a set of DR strings. Are you looking for stainless, or nickel?

5. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    Maybe some of these DR high beams would be better?

Enough zing, long lasting and don't eat the frets like the rotosounds used to do on my rickenbaker.

Could be okay for slap too.

How do stainless and nickel compare?

6. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    Just read the FAQ's.......

I have been using stainless rather than nickel for greater zing.

It seems like the Hi-beams feel a little smoother than the Rotosound swing bass, which I used to use on the Ricky and with a musical rather than harsh zing.

I think they will be in the ball park.

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Maybe try Dean Markley Blue Steels. I installed them on my 2004 Am. Ser. (maple board), and the bass just came alive. My low E string has amazing sustain, and string-to-string balance might be improved too. They're a great match for my Seymour Duncan SPB-2 Hot for P-bass pickup, because it's heavily overwound, and these are fairly bright strings.

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    For me, flats are it for a Percision.
    But also.
    Ken Smith Compressors
    DR Nickel Low Riders
    GHS Pressure Wounds
    I don't like super brite string on a P-bass.
    There fine for a jazz bass.

9. I know this sounds crazy but I have been using Carvin stainless strings for the last 3 years. They freaking sound great and will give your strings enough play to make that E-String sing....they are medium lights. Now I realize that that's blasphemy to those that use GHS Heavy Boomers or something like that but medium lights TOTALLY work great and they are a lot more forgiving on your hands (IMO)

Carvin Stainless Steel 4's Guages: .040, .060, .080, .100

NOW...with that said, I can say without a doubt that I am not a big fan of the s-1 switching. (personally it sounds like a marketing tool to me).

NOW...with that said my 2001 Fender American P-bass doesn't have the original pickup in it. It has a seymour duncan quarter pounder in it...but 2001 was a much friendlier time when it came to p-basses and it was probably a lot easier to change pickups cuz you didn't have this S-1 shinanigans. But that seymour duncan quarter pounder and the carvin strings made ALL the difference in the world for me at least.

Either way the Carvin strings are a good start to a little better sound, plus they are freakin cheap...at $9.00 bucks a set you can't be angry and it will be a cheap way to at least give them a shot. Also they are made by La Bella which we all know is a bomb ass string maker.

Enjoy!!

Order here --> http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=40STS&CID=ACC

[​IMG]

10. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    You might want to try D'Addario XL Pro Steels.
    If you want to go a little mellower, D'Addario XLs (Nickel) are a good choice.

11. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I was suprised by how good DR Fat Beams sounded on my P when I first put them on. I like a warm, punchy, clear, growly sound. I'm not so much into grindy rock tones as I play more RnB, jazz, pop, funk. I tried several brands of nickel wound strings and then tried these and found them warmer and yes fatter sounding than any of the nickel strings I tried while still being clear and growly as well.

12. MiniMic

MiniMic

Sep 29, 2001
    Syracuse NY
    I think you should give GHS Brite Flats a try (if they still make 'em.)
    OR try D'addario Half-Rounds. I used to have a '71 Fretless P-Bass
    that sound great with either one of these strings on it.
    They do not feel like round wounds and maybe that's a good thing

Just my .02
    Peace Out
    MDC

13. I'm playing a p bass clone right now. I'm playing wth fender 7150s (nickle over steel). Once you work them in, 1 to 2 weeks, they get a really rich tone, especially on the E and A. Very smooth on the fingers. They might just be what you're looking for.

Cheers

14. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    The S-1 switch gives a regular precision type sound and a more middle type sound.....

I have n't found it really different enough when switched to be that effective, but it's early days so I may yet harness its power.

Thanks for all the string suggestions fellas...:) :confused: :D

I am spoiled for choice now but have a much better idea of what I need to get the sound I want with a heavy bottom end and a certain anount of zing.

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I love Fender strings on a P-bass. On my franken-P fretless I've got their nylon tapewound strings. I love them. On my Peavey P-J (which gets used as a P 95% of the time or more) I have the Peavey nickelwound "Super Bass" strings. Both sound tremendous for P-bass. Just my take.

16. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Fender 7150's, 7250's, or LaBella flats.

17. Yeah I know what you mean..the idea sounds good but I honestly think that in its application s-1 just doesn't do it for me. I guess I'm already an old fart and I like my p-bass to sound ONLY like a p-bass and my Jazz bass to sound ONLY like a jazz bass you know???

Yikes I can't believe I just said I'm old fart!!! :meh:

18. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    beenstoot

I have asked the question here.

Maybe someone has found circumstances where the S-1 comes in to its own.