1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings for finger funk/thump?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sifi76, Jan 11, 2018.

1. sifi76

sifi76

Mar 14, 2007
    New Zealand
    Hey guys, looking to throw some new strings on my bass. I usually use DR Hi Beams, but I;m looking for something more mellow, as my style tends to lean itself to 60-70's finger funk and thump ala 'Lucky' Scott, Jamerson, Graham. I was thinking either flat's or tape would be the way to go given I tend to ride up near the neck on my bass for that 'upright' tone, but I do accentuate the finger plucking 'pinches' down on the pickup. So I'm a bit at odds at what to be looking for as I have heard from many folks that flats do have a dullness to the sound depending where and what you play, and I do slap a bit, but it's mostly graham style thump n pop rather than full on louis johnson. The other option was maybe some Lo Riders, as half's might get me there, but again there's been a lot of feedback that they are 'jack of all trades, master of none' strings.

Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated.

and for the record, bass wise, I'm using my old workhorse ATK prestige.. which pulls off a great P tone and a bit of J sizzle.

Cheers :)

2. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    GHS Progressives are a special alloy string. They have a really nice broken in sound, bright not too bright. Smooth feeling great balance. They do have an exposed core on E. Or maybe DR Sunbeams or Roto Swing 66 Nickels.

3. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE