Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strings for fretless 35" scale

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mamou, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Mamou

Mamou

Jun 2, 2005
    I have a Peavey Cirrus Fretless 5 arriving any day now. I’ve been told that the factory strung rounds are damaging to the fingerboard. (is this true?) What strings would be good for a 35” scale that would give an acoustic stand-up bass sound? The more I’ve researched the more confused I’ve become. Any help would be appreciated. ~Mamou

2. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Depending on the hardness of your fingerboard wood, rounds may well cause damage. Play them for a little while and if you start to see the board wearing more than you are comfortable with then you may want to consider half-rounds of flats. For a more "upright" tone, flats might do the trick. Generally, they have less pronounced upper harmonics and more fundamental thud. It really comes down to personal taste though.

If you love the round wound tone, as many do, you might want to look into putting an epoxy coating on the board. There are a couple threads here with good information on the process.

Good luck. I've played a Walnut fretless Cirrus 5 and it was smokin'. Great basses.

3. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
  4. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    Dude, that sound sample had plenty enough mwah for me! I think you just solved my problem of what strings to get on my upcoming fretless! So flatwounds last much longer I see.........
    Do they feel different to roundwounds, or can you still play just as fast with them?

5. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    They do feel different than rounds. Since the outer wrap is flat and smooth, as opposed to round, there is greater surface area which, IME, ends up creating more friction. I got used to it pretty quickly. They don't make me play any slower, it just took me a few hours of playing them to get comfortable.

6. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    The tension on the TI's is about the same as roundwounds. Of course the outer wrap is smooth. Some people who are used to Regular Flats don't like the low tension, the string kinda feels like it's moving under your finger. I'm a die hard roundwound user and I love these strings.
    I don't have any problem playing anything on these that I can play on roundwounds, as far as speed is concerned.

Bill

7. Mamou

Mamou

Jun 2, 2005
    billbern, Thanks for the sound bite. Nice sound! A couple of questions about the TI Jazz: I like stiff strigns. How is the tension? Would you know the fit for a 35" scale? Mamou

8. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Mamou,
    The bass in that clip is 35". Not a string through body style though, monorail (top load)

In Post #6 , I commented on the tension of the TI's. If you like high tension, you probably won't like these.

You can get length and tension specs from Steve (Dude) Barr
    Here

VintgeBass@aol.com

Bill