Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strings for fretless Roscoe

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nonsqtr, May 21, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi all, I'm getting increasingly unhappy with the D'Addarios that come stock on the Roscoe basses, and I'm looking for a good set of roundwound strings for my fretless LG-3005. Any thoughts? What are you fretless Roscoe owners using?

2. thumper63449

thumper63449 Guest

May 22, 2004
    Downwind of Tacoma
    I don't use a Roscoe, but I do have a fretless. I have been real happy w/Smith Compressors on my Carvin. Kinda like a ground-round. Edgy and bright enuf, but still have that fretless mwahh. Hope this might help.
    Roy

3. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi thumper63449, thanks for the reply. I like Smith strings, I've been using the Rock Master medium's on a lot of my fretted basses. l'll try the compressors on the fretless. Thanks for the heads-up. Any other suggestions?

4. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    I'm always willing to put in a plug for Thomastik-Infelds. I've got a set of Jazz flats on my fretless 6 that I absolutely love. If you're looking for more of the roundwound sound I've also had the Jazz Rounds on the same bass with good results but ultimately I preferred the smoother sound of the flats.

My other fretless is strung with Labella Tapewounds and they're a nice compromise between flatwound thud and roundwound growl as they're a roundwound string coated in a black tape, so my rosewood board doesn't take as much abuse but I still get some of the growl, but a bit smoother and tubbier.

In the past I've also used DR Sunbeams on fretless and been very pleased as well. Warm and growly without being harsh.

Hope that helps,
    J.

5. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Thanks Justyn. Those are some great strings too, I'd forgotten about the T-I's. Looks like I have some homework to do now. Thanks for the excellent suggestions!

6. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I really like tapewounds on fretless basses.

7. Tony

Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    I'll second the Smith Compressors. I've got a set on my Benavente fretless and they sound great and have just enough texture under your fretting fingers to feel comfortable (I'm not a fan of super slippery strings - a little texture seems to give me better control of my intonation on slides). One thing though, they are fairly high tension, so if you like a really rubbery feeling string, they ain't them ... all the above is jmo of course ...

Tony

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got a couple of Curbows with Rockwood fretboards, and I love the way the TI Powerbass strings sound on the Rockwood/Diamondwood fretboard.

I'm also a big fan of the way the Jazz Rounds sound with the diamondwood. :hyper: