strings for frettless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by slybubbaj, Nov 29, 2002.

1. i own a MIM fretless fender jazz bass and i have been wondering about the strings. im using the strings that came with it and am sllliightly less then satisfied. they are flatwounds, but that is all i know im not sure of the brand.
    i like the flatwound sound and feel, and i love this bass but for some reason on about the 5th-7th fret on the g string i get no sustain and the tone is weak. im not sure if getting new strings would help. in genneral what are some good quality flatwound strings that you would recomend for a fretless

2. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    IMHO, the best flatwound bass strings are Thomastic-Infeld Jazz flats (JF344). I used to hate flatwounds, until I discovered these TI's, now they're the only strings I use on fretted and fretless.
    About the sustain problem on the g string at about the 5-7th frets, that's called a dead spot and lots of (most?) basses have a dead spot in that area on the g string. Sometimes, adjusting out some of the relief in the neck can help (but not totally solve) the problem.
  3. I just bought a used MIA Jazz fretless and on it were some black coated fender flatwounds. Really nice feel and jazzy schmooovvve sound to them. Check them out, nylon tapewound is what theyre called... I think. Plus it really looks cool with black strings IMHO :)