Strings for Gibson RD Standard

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BFunk, Jun 13, 2002.

1. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I have an all maple body Gibson RD Standard. It has a floating steel bridge and 34 1/2" scale. The pickups are rather mellow and warm sounding. This gives the bass a sort of 60's jazz type sound despite the bright body wood and bridge.

I would like to turn this into my grinding rock bass. (I want to avoid changing the pickups if possible.) So I am looking for a suitable set of bright, growly, gritty strings. They should be high tension and with a lot of snap. I mostly play finger style. This is the bass I will be digging into for that Dee Snyder/John Entwisle/Mark Hoppus sound. Fret noise is my friend in this case. (Think ugly, nasty bass.) Oh, one more thing, there isn't much space between the part of the bridge that holds the string ball and the bridge saddle. Silk wraps on the ball-end are no good. (I already found out that Rotosound Swingbass strings won't work.) Contact core or taper core might be better. I can go through body, but I think that may make it sound a little duller.

So I have been searching the archives and this is what I came up with:

D'Addario Prisms 50/70/85/105
    GHS Contact Core Super Steps 44/63/84/106
    Ernie Ball Hybrid Regular Slinky 50/70/85/105

Any comments on these choices? Any other recommendations?