1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for growling?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by stoob, Sep 11, 2008.

1. stoob

stoob

Feb 3, 2008
    Horten, Norway
    I'm getting a Warwick delivered from the factory some time next year (ordered it several weeks ago still hasn't come...) and like many wick owners I'm looking for a growling, funk sound.

Do some strings make a difference in this area? Not neccesary just for Warwicks, but are there any strings people would have preference over for a more gospely growl sound? Of course I still need to slap it!

Cheers

2. My Pro steels growl

3. stoob

stoob

Feb 3, 2008
    Horten, Norway
    what Gauge pro steels are best?

4. D'Addario Pro Steels. Bassically the brightest strings I could get.

5. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Look into DR Bootzillas - they bring the FUNK!

6. stoob

stoob

Feb 3, 2008
    Horten, Norway
    Cool!

7. stoob

stoob

Feb 3, 2008
    Horten, Norway
  8. Evan_S._Brown

Evan_S._Brown

Jan 10, 2008
  9. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
  10. umm...DR Lo Riders do the trick, cause you can dig in without fret buzz and maintain low action. I'm also diggin some MTD strings... just dig in

11. anonymous073020132

anonymous073020132 Guest

Dec 15, 2007
    USA
    DR Long Necks! Most growl ever!

12. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    Dude, Ernie Ball Super Slinkys...one and only

13. Willy2911

Willy2911

Sep 11, 2008
    OC California
    Weather you Go with Lowriders, Bootzillas, or even Marcus millers - DR strings can Bring the noise:bassist: If you have a Good amp you will be able to dial in the mids and hear how bright those strings are - Get Funky!!!

14. I don't know if they are still around but Warwick use to market a string that had the rawest growl I ever heard.

15. +1. DRs seem to be in the majority and for good reason. I swear, Lo-Riders made my Squier sound like a Jaco Custom shop reissue.

16. Another +1 for DR strings. Try the different kinds and pick the one you like. They all work great.

17. Ken Smith's also make for some monster growl. I just put a set on my Spector Euro. The purple cloth ends are pretty cool lookin too :)