Strings for hipshot bass extender

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sam Dingle, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    I have a fender american standard jazz bass that always wears DR high beams 45-105. I have a hipshot d-tuner that I need to use for a musical gig coming up and I will be tuning it to Drop C unless I can find a nice 5 string bass before the show starts. Can anyone tell me what type of string I should get (different brand or gauge) so that the Low C is as clear as possible?

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    A .120 is ideal, but will it fit in your nut?

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    For full time drop-C, yes. But saying he's using a d-tuner suggests he's going to play part of the show with it tuned to E.

OP: You have three choices...a good C and a too-tight E; a good E and a too floppy C, or split the difference and have neither great, but neither too bad.
    I would order a .110, and .115 in the high beams and see which works best.

You're considering getting a 5, which frankly is the best solution, but have you considered tuning your J or another bass to BEAD?

Bodeanly likes this.
  4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    .120 will handle E. It is pretty high tension but not unheard of..

Unless a double stop is installed it will be D and drop to C so .120 at D is no issue at all.

5. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    ^^^This will change your freaking life.^^^

fretlessguy likes this.
  6. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    I don't want to change. I'll try the Heavy E. I may throw down some money for a Spector Euro I found so we'll see.

7. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    I'll try the .110 next time though.

8. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Since it's just one gig, have you considered renting/ borrowing a fiver?

9. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    It's a musical. 4 nights a week for the month. I bought a Spector Euro the night I made this post. I've always wanted a high quality 5 string and this was on my list. I took it as an excuse to jump on it.

10. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I tried BEAD for about a year. It didn't change my life. But a hipshot that goes to drop D did. It opened up a whole new world to me.

Bodeanly likes this.
  11. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    The hipshot is cool and totally serves its purpose, but going from E to C on the fly wasn't working for me. With BEAD, the notes are always there. Plus, if you read the FAQ, I think it says you're supposed to agree with everything everyone says on the internet.

12. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    hqdefault.jpg

13. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I don't argue anymore. I'm a changed man I tell you!

Nev375 likes this.
  14. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021