Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strings for j bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by steve2, Oct 2, 2001.

1. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I am expecting my new mim j bass to come in and I am changing the pickguard. So I am thinking about changing the strings also. It comes with Super 7250ML should I change these or just use them. I use GHS Bass boomers on my Yamaha p bass and was thinking of getting a set for the J bass. Any suggestions?

STeve

2. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I use GHS on my J-bass and after a few months they're starting to sound like crap. :mad:

I've been thinking about getting Ernie Balls or something. Although I do like the stock strings (I've still got A,D and G for back up purposes).

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    It took you a FEW MONTHS? Hell, I thought my pack of boomers sounded crap the moment I put them on! Different strokes, though... :D

Just fetch yourself a set, any brand and type, and try it. You don't like it? Buy another set next time. You like it? Stick with them or continue the search for the perfect string.

You don't know your favourite set of strings until you've tried it. ;)

4. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    I used GHS Boomers before on my JB -79 but then switched to Ernie Ball - they were great.
    Just wanted to try GHS again on my JB MIM and man, they are not as good as EBs at all. Then the local dealer for EBs had a day off and I wanted new strings so bad I went and bought a set of Fender 7250ML. Nope, the E string is now dead after 3 weeks of play.
    I just called my buddy, who works for the shop to get EBs and ordered 5 sets at once - no chance I will be outta strings soon.
    Go with the Ernie Ball Slinky Bass. I am gonna get set of 45-100 and I will be back - boom, boom. These should work for you too.

5. <b>JerryH asked...</b>

<font color="#0000ff">I am expecting my new mim j bass to come in and I am changing the pickguard. So I am thinking about changing the strings also. It comes with Super 7250ML should I change these or just use them. I use GHS Bass Boomers on my Yamaha p bass and was thinking of getting a set for the J bass. Any suggestions?</font>

<hr>
    Yeah - I have a suggestion.

This is just my opinion, but -

DR strings will make you sound like Marcus Miller. I have a set of LoBeams on my SR406. Great strings - I'm gonna slap a set of Sunbeams on my soon to be acquired Fury 6 next week and compare the two.

Tonal balance across strings is outstanding and just about anything is better than the strings that came on my Soundgear. I became a better bass player about four minutes after I put the LoBeams on. Now I sound like Marcus Miller (well, we play basically the same instrument anyway).

Some people don't like them - but so far I've been *very* impressed.

Second choice? LaBella.

Somewhere in the middle of the pack - Rotosound and D'Addario.

I live in Battle Creek, MI - home of GHS strings and know Dave Holcomb a little bit (he's the H in GHS). He plays banjo in a local Dixieland band in town. I haven't seen a set of GHS strings I'd use yet (sorry, Dave).

cheers,

allan

6. <b>JerryH asked...</b>

<font color="#0000ff">I am expecting my new mim j bass to come in and I am changing the pickguard. So I am thinking about changing the strings also. It comes with Super 7250ML should I change these or just use them. I use GHS Bass Boomers on my Yamaha p bass and was thinking of getting a set for the J bass. Any suggestions?</font>

<hr>

Yeah - I have a suggestion.

<opinion>

DR strings will make you sound like Marcus Miller. I have a set of LoBeams on my SR406. Great strings - I'm gonna slap a set of Sunbeams on my soon to be acquired Fury 6 next week and compare the two.

Tonal balance across strings is outstanding and just about anything is better than the strings that came on my Soundgear. I became a better bass player about four minutes after I put the LoBeams on. Now I sound like Marcus Miller (well, we play basically the same instrument anyway).

Some people don't like them - but so far I've been *very* impressed.

Second choice? LaBella.

Somewhere in the middle of the pack - Rotosound and D'Addario.

I live in Battle Creek, MI - home of GHS strings and know Dave Holcomb a little bit (he's the H in GHS). He plays banjo in a local Dixieland band in town. I haven't seen a set of GHS strings I'd use yet (sorry, Dave).

</opinion>

cheers,

allan

7. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    Well, no harm done here.
    I went to the store, where my buddy works and bought 5 sets of Ernie Ball SlinkyBass 45-100. Put them on last Sunday and they sound great. More punch and clarity through my SVT. And if I show some thumb to my MIM JB it sounds like THUNDER.... Then roll down the tone and you've got the most sweet round tone for jazz.
    I am happy now!

8. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
  9. another vote for lo riders, nickels though.

10. DR low Rider Nick's nuff said !