Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings for Lakland DJ5

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bugbass, Dec 1, 2005.

1. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    What strings works with this bass, thinking mostly of the B.
    And do you use the string-through body option?

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've been enjoying DR high/fat beams and nickel lo riders on there, but the Sadowsky Stainless set will bring out the best in the low B if thats what you are most interested in.

I didn't care for the lakland strings, but the low B on that set had good focus, if shortish sustain.

I've been playing with the through body stringing and found it to make almost no difference at all. It makes the strings feel somewhat tighter and changes the tone very slightly. If you do string through body, remember to press down on the string at the saddle to bend the wire, otherwise you'll have an artificially high action from the wire arcing over the saddle.

3. Do the Sadowsky strings fit through body on a DJ5?

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The "extra long" sets would, but the taper would not reach the saddle on the B, so you'd essentially have a plain string for the low B.

The difference with through body is IMO very subtle. You don't string Sadowskys through the body, knowwhatImean?

5. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Roger now has Sadowsky Strings for 35'inch scale basses

6. The difficulty is that the tapered section has to be longer to be string through the body--the scale length isn't really the issue there.

Mike

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Shouldn't this be in the "Strings" forum??

:meh: