1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for Lakland JO5

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bluesy Soul, Jul 23, 2007.

1. I will pick up my used Lakland Skyline JO5 in a few days and want to replace its existing roundwound strings with flatwounds. Can you JO5 users, past and present, help me with flatwound string brands (other than Lakland JOSF-5s) that will fit the JO5's 35" scale and headstock configuration?

I'm particularly interested in the following:
    - LaBella "Deep Talkin'" series (0760M5, 5-2string version of
    the "Jamerson" set);
    -D'Addario XL Chromes - Long (ECB81-5);
    -D'Addario XL Chromes - Super Long (ECB81-5SL); and
    -Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats (JR345s)

I'd be interested in Fender flatwounds, but I couldn't find any 5-string, flatwound sets. I also prefer medium to light guages. In addition to knowing which non-Lakland brands will fit, I''m also interested in knowing how you liked the tone and playability.

Thanks in advance!

Bluesy Soul :cool:

2. Taggin along here...if anyone has a suggestion for a fairly clear, mid present flatwound that isnt too boomy, feel free to throw it in here too. :)

Hearing the flatwould clips on Laklands website is what made me start jonesin for a JO5.

3. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I have the Lakland flats on my JO4 and like them alot. They are not as bright as Chromes, nor as stiff. They have nice consistent tone across the strings and aren't boomy at all.

I like a fair amount of string tension, and play .105-.045 gauge (with a .130 B on a 5'er). The Lakland flats are good in the 34" scale and should be really nice on the 35" scale JO5. For reference, I use DR Lo-Riders as my roundwound of choice, and they have the level of tension that I prefer.

4. mobis.fr

mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
    germany
    so, which strings did you choose?

i'm in the same situation but i think i go with the JO5 flats.

5. play4zero

play4zero

Dec 29, 2005
    Edorsing Artist: Eden
    I just got a Lakland JO5 that had a set of the LaBella Jamersons on it. I took them off. Would you like them?

6. mobis.fr

mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
    germany
    thx, but i live in germany and don't have paypal. i guess the money exchange would be a little bit different ^^

but, there is a jamerson 5 string set?
    or do you mean: 760FM-BLow "B" Medium (.049 .069 .089 .109 .128)

7. play4zero

play4zero

Dec 29, 2005
    Edorsing Artist: Eden
    Don't know what they are, was just told they were the LaBella Jamerson set. They're pretty beefy. They lasted just long enough for me to open the pack of SITs.