Strings for Lakland??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Apr 13, 2004.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    So... what strings do you guys use for Laklands??? I'd love to put a set of Hi-Beams or Lo-Riders on it (55-02), but have heard kinda iffy statements regarding anything but tapered strings. Does DR make a tapered B-string set?

Lemme know... I'll be rockin' it out in front of thousands of returned GI's from Iraq next Thursday down here @ Ft. Hood, and want to make sure my rig is in tip-top shape.
  2. Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    One of the options from the "factory" is DR Hi-Beams. DR's are the only strings that have ever been on my 55-02.

They work for me.
  3. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Since these guys have just returned from fighting a war, do you really think they'll notice anything in regards to your strings or the sound of your gear?
  4. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Low-Riders Or Hi- Beams will work just fine on your 55-02
  5. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I went to a local custom shop & grabbed a set of custom GHS's... I like 'em,, except for the B string... I'll be giving DR's a try next.
  6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Hell if I know. But the other musicians there, and me, will. So that's what matters.
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Dumped the nickel GHS-made strings on mine to try some Pedullas........only to find they were clones on the GHS nickels!!!

Put some stainless steel DR Lo-Riders on it, with the B and E strung through the body while the others were strung through the bridge and it whooped ass!!! (But, I'm talking about an ash body, maple fretboard, 55-02).

Can hardly wait to try some DR "Marcus" (Fatbeams), on it, but the DR Lo-Riders just won't die.
  8. spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    what about the lakland strings? fom lakland direct? what are opinions of those?
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sorry, I should have been more explicit - the GHS nickels are what came on my 55-02...........not a bad string unless you are used to DR stainless, IMO.

But Dan Lakin is a savvy guy - his website offers DR's.
  10. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    The Laklands are made by GHS. The stainless ones are Super Steels, and the nickel ones are boomers. They are made to Lakland's specs, to allow for stringing through the body. I've been using the stainless ones for years. Great strings, and you can get them for a killer price from Lakland.
  11. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've been using the Lakland stainless steels on my Skyline JO5 for over one year now (for fingerstyle and slap). I really like the sound and playability, and a set only costs $22 locally. I'll be putting a set of Elixer Nanowebs on this bass soon.
  12. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    TI Powerbass are THE string for Laklands.
  13. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I just had DR taper wound strings put on my lakland 55-94 (stringed through the body). I just picked up the bass today and will let you guys know how they are after practice this week. The strings that I had on the Lakland before were the stock set that they install at the factory.
  14. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    cheezewiz, do you string 'em through the body? (I'm talkin' 34" 4 string here).
    How would you say the tone differs from the Lakland nickels?

keep groooovin'
  15. degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    What kind come stock on the Lakland JO??

They feel like nickel, not stainless.
  16. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    If I remember correctly, the Lakland website states that the 55-94 comes with stainless steels.
  17. KB had a set of these on the lakland 44-02 i bought from him and I really liked them.
  18. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    You put the same strings on a Lakland as you would with any other bass guitar, DR Low-Riders. Like, duuuuuuuuh!
  19. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas

+1 :D
  20. degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    I am adding this to the thread for future reference for somebody looking for the same info. According to Dan Lakin, my 2003 Joe Osbourne USA jazz bass came with stock medium guage .45 - .105 stainless steel strings.

The strings are nice, so I might stick with Lakland strings for replacement at 17.50 for a pack...