Strings for maple finger boards only...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dlloyd, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Stainless Steel

5 vote(s)
  2. Nickel

6 vote(s)
  3. Nickel plated steel

3 vote(s)
  1. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    I've noticed a tendency in myself to string basses with rosewood boards with stainless steel strings (usually Rotosound) and maple boards with nickel plated (EBs)

My guess is that the brighter string compliments the warmer board and vice-versa.

What strings do you use with your maple boards...
  2. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    Duck Dunn has flats on his maple figerboard. Imo flats make a bass sound like a BASS! Round wound strings for the most part make a bass sound like a guitar with heavy stings imo. Heck, I can get more bass out of my gibson archtop guitar w/flats than many bass players I hear using round wounds, especially if the strings are new.
  3. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I just set up my 5 string (w/ maple fingerboard) with a set of Ken Smith Burners, which are nickel. Nice piano esque tone, and the B and E strings really growl! As nice as the strings sound, I will eventually replace them with a set of TI Jazz Flats. I really like the sound of rounds.....but the flats are so much more versatile for me. The flats we use today, are more refined than yester-years brands. They offer greater sustain, volume and better definition in the upper mids and highs; of course the equipment we use these days also helps. It really depends on what type of music you play, if you're playing soul, rock, c&w, blues or jazz; flats would be a good choice. If your in a Yiddish speed metal band.......stick with the rounds. Just my .02

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    flatwound GUITAR strings? Have I been living in a hole? Who makes these?

I only own boards with rosewood boards (just by coincidence -- one's fretless, one's my first bass -- nothing against maple) and use nickels (round on fretted, flat on fretless). TI jazz, more specifically. I tried some Rotos on my fretted last summer, absolutely abhorred them. Yucky feel, chewed up my frets. Bleh.