Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings for Martin BC15E

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by holycrow, Nov 13, 2003.

1. holycrow

holycrow

Nov 13, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I just bought a Martin acoustic BC15E which I love. I think that the mahogany top gives it a more natural sound than the harder maple tops, yet it still has surprising volume for a relatively small bass.

That said, I wasn't thrilled with the bronze strings it came with. They have good volume, but sounded "bronze" to me. So, I tried some tape wound strings. They sound "plastic". Basically, every string I've tried pretty much sounds the way it looks. I am not naive enough to think I can make this bass sound like a string bass, but doesn't anyone make a string that would come a little closer to a natural sound... maybe nylon or even an old gut string? Has anyone tried string bass strings from a piccolo bass or any bizzare idea like that?

I haven't tried theThomastic strings. They appear to be bronze too, but with a nylon core. Is that correct? Do they more closely approximate an acoustic sound than, say, the D'Addario bronze strings?

Thanks!

Holy Crow

2. The Thomastik Acousticore series are optimized for the piezo-pickup. They sound more acoustic because they are acoustic, enginnered just like fine ochestral strings. They have a nylon strand core and phophor-bronze alloy winding, and according to Thomastik, they deliver warm , woody tone to any ABG.

I use them on my Guild B4CE, ABG. They sound woody and acoustic!
    [​IMG]

Both of our basses have the Fishman pre in them and these strings sound wonderful on these basses!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I use Labella nylon tapes on my Tacoma ABG, and wouldn't go back to anything else. To me, ABG-specific strings sound like a big guitar, not bass - give me thump!

4. HeavyDuty, does your Tacoma have the piezo pickup on board?

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    No, I installed a passive K&K Pure soundboard transducer system from (all hail!) Bob Gollihur, and use an offboard K&K preamp when needed.

6. Kewl!

[​IMG]
    Treena