1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

strings for mk dragonfly 5 string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kleptic, Nov 30, 2006.

1. kleptic

kleptic

Nov 30, 2006
    I want to replace the stock strings on my mk dragonfly. I think I would like to find some flatwounds for it. Does anybody recommend any strings for the mk dragonfly abg?

also I'd like to know what strings are safe to try out regarding string tension.

let me know what you guys have tried and liked on your abg's

thanks
    kyle

2. brooster

brooster

Sep 7, 2006
    East Tennessee
    TI-Jazz Flats would be fine. They are lower tension than the la Bella 760.

3. Harmony

Harmony

Mar 5, 2006
    OK, I took this advice and bought a set of TI JF345's for my 5 string Dragonfly, and I think I made a big mistake.

First of all, I can't get the bridge pin for the original low B string out. If and when I do, I can see that the low B in the new TI set (a .136) is probably going to be WAAAY too thick for this instrument. The original is smaller in gauge, and even it barely fits. Even if I found a way to jam the TI low B into the bridge pin hole, I'd still need to file out the nut to fit that string.

So, for anyone else reading this... Stay away from the TI Jazz Bass flat wounds if you have a Dragonfly.

Anyone have any suggestions for properly sized flatwound strings that actually work on a Dragonfly?

4. Went through the same danged thing with my Kelly.
    The Jazz's will work, but as you mentioned the nut needs to be opened on the B & A, Along with the peg being reworked to a larger groove.
    Have you considered adding the .033 Flat ( http://www.juststrings.com/toi-jf34033.html ) to replace the G string and moving the others up a slot? Shame to waste a good B string though I know.
    Your playing will be super slinky and light this way almost like classical cat gut or nylons. Some folks like it, others don't. I play rather light anyways and I'll admit, you can bend for what seems like forever and if you get used to it, you'll get spoiled. Expect a complete setup as being required with this though (Truss & bridge).
    Most of your B's are going to need nut work anyways since they're usually up around .125/.135 ish.

5. Harmony

Harmony

Mar 5, 2006
    Well, my original comments were slightly premature. After a lot more work, I've had a measure of success.

Getting the old peg out was a challenge. It was really stuck in there, and the original round wound strings really held the pin in. Actually, the original end pin on the low B string was not completely seated like the other four.

I couldn't find a bridge pin pulling tool in any of the catalogs that seemed big enough to deal with these large bass pins. The only possibility I saw was an end pin pulling tool, and I felt that that might be too large.

What I ended up using (and it worked perfectly) was a coaxial 75 ohm cable end crimper that was fairly thin. One of the slots on the tool that I have was just perfect for grabbing around the slotted part of the bridge pin. I then used two pieces of shim material (used for mounting doors and windows). I put them on top of each other and used them as a fulcrum for the cable puller (sliding them against each other to get the optimum height).

Ultimately, the new B string fit in about as well as the original, thinner gauge string. The bridge pin is not seated completely, but everything is holding fine. The JF345's are very nice.

Eventually, I want to find more bridge pins of the correct size, and enlarge the slot on one to fit the .136 B string better. So far, I've checked with Stew-Mac, and they didn't have any of the correct size. So, the search goes on. Has anybody gotten these directly from Michael Kelly?

Also, does anyone have any tips on an easy process to enlarge the slot on one of these bridge pins? Drill? Dremel tool? File? For sure, I want to have some spares before I start experimenting.