1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for MM SR5 + denatured alcohol

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by g00eY, Sep 30, 2008.

1. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I'm looking to save some money right now... blew too much of it on miscellaneous gear. You all know how it is with GAS and all.

Right now my MM SR5 is wearing the stock strings (Regular Slinky 130-45). I like the tone I'm getting, but they die kind of quickly. Would it be ok to use denatured alcohol on these strings?

I suppose if it's ok, I'll just go out and by another matching set of Regulars and just switch the two sets in and out till the completely die.

2. I usually clean strings with Fairy washing-up liquid and water, then let strings to dry. Washing-up liquid removes tissue microfibers which stucks between string grooves.

3. Yapser

Yapser

Aug 14, 2007
    Soaking them in denatured alcohol for ~12hours or something like that surely works. Make sure you wipe 'em off afterwards.

I'm not quite sure if non-stainless strings rust/corrode/oxidate (whatever it is :rolleyes:), but it worked for a pack of D'addario here. Sounded 'broken-in' fresh again.

-Whoops, old thread. Didn't see the date...

4. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Not to worry, Dr. Frankenstein, bringing a thread back to life after two weeks isn't such a big deal.

The goofballs who do a search, dredge up something from three or four years ago, and post to it like it was a new thread, those are the ones who get hammered!. :D