Strings for Modulus VJ???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by abolit66, Sep 22, 2004.

1. abolit66

Sep 9, 2004
    Hello guys,
    Just got my Modulus VJ4 a couple days ago. Pretty happy with this beauty. As far as I know it's been strung with D'Addario XL170. Is it the best strings I can put on it?
    Would DR hi-beam sound better?
    Any ideas'?

Thanks. :hyper:
  2. i see the adds in bass player for elixers have the modulus VJ, which BTW looks very nice
  3. Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I love flats on my Modulus VJ. I've tried alot of different sets, but my favs are TI Jazz Flats and D'Addario Chromes. As far as rounds go, I thought the XLs were ok, but I liked Slowounds much better (if you can find a music store that still has some left). I would think that the hi-beams would be way too bright and twangy sounding in combination with the Modulus neck, but that's just my opinion. If you like DRs, I'm thinking sunbeams would be a good mate with the VJ.
  4. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I don't have a VJ but I do have a Q5 and I second the TI Jazz Flats.
  5. Are we talking composite fretboard or wood?

If it's composite and you aren't opposed to roundwounds, I say Carvin stainless steel roundwounds. I owned a set of these, which I used on my fretless q bass, and I would say for the price these are the best strings I've found. I had to wait a long time for them, but the sound was good and even and the price was..........confusing. I don't get how elixers are so expensive. I would say these babies are just as long-lasting.
  6. abolit66

Sep 9, 2004
    I appriciate your help, guys!
    I just wonder if somebody tried Thomastik-Infeld Flat...
    That's right, the graphite Modulus neck has some tendency for brightness and DR hi-beams would add more harmonics to the tone. Never tried Elixir though....Kind of expensive.. Are they bright too?

7. abolit66

Sep 9, 2004
    sorry, Davo737 already mentioned TI. My bad! :oops:
  8. When I had a Modulus VJ I liked it best with the TI Jazz Flats.

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Let's put this one in the Strings Forum.