1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

strings for mustang

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Plaxy, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Plaxy

Plaxy

Nov 3, 2006
    I have a mustang which needs new strings. The guy at the guitar shop said to use normal length strings and cut the ends. Does this seem the best way to go? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

2. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    That's what I do with mine. Had no problems so far.

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    www.juststrings.com

Has the Fender shortscale strings. Very nice strings IMHO. I have them on my son's Bronco bass. Fender makes a good string, I don't think you can go wrong with them. :hyper:

4. The Fender short scale set sounds quite good, but personally I don't care for the small gauges and soft tension.

I've used DR short-scale sets, both Sunbeams and Hi Beams, and they sound great. The Hi Beams in particular sound really rich on the Mustang, especially with the tone rolled off a bit. But again, I don't find these have enough tension for me, though they are definitely beefier than the Fender short-scale set.

The biggest problem I've found is that many E strings seem to get a bit floppy and give a soft, pillowy sound on a short-scale bass. I spoke to the folks at Birdsong about this (as I'm planning to get one of their short-scale basses one day), and they said they've found that higher tension strings will tighten up the sound.

So, last night I put on a medium-scale set of D'addario 50-105 nickels (EXL160M). This is the biggest, highest-tension set I can find that will fit the Mustang properly without cutting down a long scale set.

I really like them! The E string definitely sounds better to me. If the tension ratings at D'addario's web site are accurate, the medium-scale .105 E string has over 20% more tension than the .100 (34 lbs vs. 28.) I would think the round-core E string in the DR sets, while measuring .105, are probably closer to the D'ad .100s in tension.

To my ears it makes a difference. Your mileage may vary. :)

I did have to make a truss rod adjustment going from the DRs to the D'ads; I did a half-turn and the relief was still a tad high this morning, so I may need to do another quarter turn. What a pain! Why couldn't Fender make the truss rod more easily accessible?

5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Ken Smith has short scale strings that run from .44-.106

Just something to think about

6. gary a.

gary a.

Jan 4, 2007
    the D'addario 170S shortscale round-wounds not only sound great but keep their tone a long time--plus they'll fit your shortscale bass without having to cut them down to size.

7. Quick correction: D'addario short-scale strings will NOT fit a Mustang bass because of the string-through body (can't top-load with the Mustang bridge.) D'ad medium scale strings fit a Mustang perfectly.

8. skaismyhero

skaismyhero

May 21, 2006
    Dayton Ohio
    get long strings and cut em. thats what i do w/ my musicmaster