Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings for my 4/4 strad copy

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by fortress1w, Aug 25, 2003.

1. fortress1w

fortress1w Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2003
    Burlington, VT
    I have a nice 1920's Czech Strad copy, its a 4/4 scale. When I bought the bass it had some nice nylon strings that it came with but the bridge was junk. Bought a new bride and some Pirasto Obligato's to go with it. The Obligatos are too thin and loose for me. So my action has to be very high for no buzz.

I am a beginner on the instrument and I would like to go back to some nice fat nylons like I had before. I like a low action so fatigue is minimal. Does anyone have advice on some good nylons?

Willing to trade my Obligato's which I could see perfect on any 3/4 scale.

I play mainly jazz an a little bluegrass

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    You are asking for things that are mutually exclusive; low action and low tension. You can have one or the other, but you can't have both. Low tension strings need more room to oscillate, so they will buzz at lower action.

Bass size (contrary to string makers notions) have little to do with appropriate strings. I play a 4/4 Klotz copy, but it has a 42' string length, consistent with many 3/4 basses. What is your String length (nut to bridge)? It may be that 3/4 strings are all you need. 4/4 strings on a 3/4 bass may be too floppy.

Hope this helps.

Monte

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    There are not many bass nylon strings available.
    Besides Obligatos:
    * Thomastik Dominants (3/4 scale only)
    * Labella Supernils (round nylon wire on nylon for the G and D, round silver-plated wire for the A and E. No problem with a 4/4 scale)
    * Super-Sensitive Sensicore (3/4 scale only)
    * Innovation 140H (flat metal on nylon solid-core. Standard lenght is 7/8)
    * Innovation 140B (flat metal on nylon braided-core. Standard lenght is 7/8)
    * Innovation Rockabilly black nylon tape on nylon braided-core
    * Eurosonic (flat nylon tape on steel rope-core)
    * LaBella 7710 (flat nylon tape on steel rope-core. 3/4 scale only)

4. fortress1w

fortress1w Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2003
    Burlington, VT
    High Tension is fine with me, it is very true that low tension = high action and that is what I am experiencing right now.

My Nut to Bridge lenght is 42"

5. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Nylon are very low tension; similar to gut. 42" SL will be fine with 3/4 strings.

Sprirocore Weichs may fit the bill for you. Great pizz sound, do well at low action, long lasting, and pretty easy on the hands.

Monte

6. Hey could ya tell me where you bought that bride? I'd kinda like to pick one up somewhere along the line, if the price is right.