Strings for my Fender USA P5

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LionOnBass, Jul 21, 2018.

1. LionOnBass

LionOnBass

Jul 10, 2018
    Germany
    I am looking for strings for my Fender USA Precision 5. It is the newer model with the v-mod pickup, maple fretboard in antique olive.
    At the moment I have some Elixir stainless steel strings 45-135 on it, which are nice but a bit tight for slapping stuff.
    I had chromes flatwounds on that bass too, but they where a bit too dull for my liking.
    I think I like steel strings a bit better, because I get black finger tips from nickel strings.
    Which strings, do you guys think, should I try?

2. forrestlaw

forrestlaw Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Houston
    My favorite steels are DR. I played Lo Riders (felt slightly higher tension for tuning down 1/2) on my 4 string P for a while before going back to D'addario nickels. Hi Beams and Fat Beams are also really good and I've played each in both standard tuning and down 1/2. Rotosounds shredded the tips of my fingers, but alot of people like them and get along with them well.

LionOnBass likes this.
  3. LionOnBass

LionOnBass

Jul 10, 2018
    Germany
    I tried Rotosound on that bass, too, but the E + B strings sounded kinda dull and dead.

4. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Given the variety in stores,whatever you can get your hands on.

5. DR Hi Beams.
    DR Fat Beams.
    Dunlop Super Bright Steels.

LiquidMidnight and LionOnBass like this.
  6. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Fat Beams or Dunlop Super Bright Steels. I have Fat Beams on my P5 and just put a set of the Marcus Miller Dunlop Steels on my SR5. I’m really impressed with the Dunlops.

lgrankin and LionOnBass like this.
  7. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    If you want brighter and a looser feel, then I'd suggest DR High Beams or Fat Beams or the Dunlop Marcus Millers (which I'd guess are pretty similar to the Fat Beams). From what I've seen on TB, it looks like the Super Bright Steels would fit your needs also, but I've never used them.

EDIT: FWIW, I do have a P5. However, I like the sound of nickels and I love stiff-feeling strings, so my personal favorites - nickel Lo Riders or Chromes - are not choices I'd suggest to you.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    LionOnBass likes this.
  8. LionOnBass

LionOnBass

Jul 10, 2018
    Germany
    The shop has DR Hibeams 45-130 and Daddario Pro Steels 45-130. Both are steel strings, what is the different beside the brand? They don't have the Dunlops super brights.

9. DR Hi Beams = Round Core = Flexible.
    D'A ProSteels = Hex Core = Stiffer. In fact, the D'A would feel more like the Elixir in term of stiffness.

LiquidMidnight and LionOnBass like this.
  10. LionOnBass

LionOnBass

Jul 10, 2018
    Germany
    And soundwise?
    How would you describe the difference in sound between the hibeams and prosteels? Thank you so far guys

11. Not steel but rather an alloy, I've found for me that the best balance of tension and tone on my P5 is DR Pure Blues.

12. keith1r

keith1r Supporting Member

Aug 4, 2009
    D’Addario XL

13. The OP specified "steel" because his skin reacts to nickel. So, why are you recommending nickel strings?

LionOnBass likes this.
  14. I used to have one of those basses and put slinky regs on it, it sang with those but you don’t want nickel. Plus I did have to change them once a month to keeep the tone.

I bet TI’s would sound good though the price is high and yes I love chromes but not the B string!

Maybe try some D’Adarrios or DR LoRiders!
    I owned a lot of 5’s and that P was always a tricky one for strings.

LionOnBass likes this.
  15. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Oh boy. I loved and dearly miss my old ‘08 P5. It was a wonderful bass. It was VERY string sensitive though. Strings made or broke that bass.

My favorites were the Fender flats, and especially the TI Jazz Rounds. Jazz Rounds aren’t for everyone with their loose feel, but they were absolutely amazing on that bass. It helped that the fretwork was superb and created zero fret buzz issues, even with the super flexible strings. The low B was killer too.

EDIT: I just noticed you said no nickel. Nevermind.

16. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I have the exact bass.
    I’m still looking for the right strings for it.
    It currently has Warwick stainless strings with a taped B; light gauge and the tension is not bad either. Feels pretty good for stainless; not super hard like rotosounds.
    Having said That, the bass is so aggressive and bright, I don’t know what to do.
    I may go for some DR blues to tame the sound a bit.
    I played an outdoor gig tonight and I was dialing out aggression and clank and I’m sure those stainless strings don’t help that matter.

17. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    D'addario chromes or steels.

18. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    My MIA P looovvveesss NYXLs. Sound and feel wise, they just work. They did not work on my Js. Try em out.

19. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    If you tried flats and steel rounds, and are looking for something more down the middle soundwise (just a guess based on your choices), you might consider pressurewound strings by GHS. I find they capture the best of both worlds and are quite long-lasting. And yes, they do blacken my fingers just a bit, especially when new. Black finger tips wash up with soap and water - voila!

20. I'm assuming the black finger tips the OP is talking about are from nickel allergy.

GHS PWs, being a nickel-iron alloy, may not be the best option.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021