Strings for my Fender USA P5

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LionOnBass, Jul 21, 2018.

1. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    This maybe isn't the thread to explore it, but is a nickel allergy more serious than just black finger tips? Mine get a bit black, but I just try not to wipe my finger tips on my white shirts ;). ...nothing more serious than that. But what about others? New thread maybe?

2. LionOnBass

LionOnBass

Jul 10, 2018
    Germany
    I don’t know if I am allergic to nickel, only thing I know is, I get black finger tips from nickel strings.

3. I really wonder if some of tapewounds would sound good on one. D’Addario makes a set now I’ve been meaning to try.

Even though they’re black they wouldn’t make your fingers black!

4. LionOnBass

LionOnBass

Jul 10, 2018
    Germany
    I ordered a set of DR hibeam 45-130, DR legend flatwound 45-125 and DAddario pro steels 45-130.
    Hope one of them suits the bass!

5. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I’m very intrigued to see your results!

LionOnBass likes this.
  6. I'm a bit surprised about the DR Legend Flatwound... Only because you said in your original post that you found the D'A Chromes "dull". The Legend Flats would be even more old-school than the Chromes.

LionOnBass likes this.
  7. LionOnBass

LionOnBass

Jul 10, 2018
    Germany
    @michael_t I ordered the legends just out of curiosity. I read that they are stainless steel and roundcore on there website. Maybe I like roundcore flats more than chromes (hexcore). Just a test :)
    But at the end and for every day use I will probably stick with the pro steels or hibeams

michael_t likes this.
  8. LionOnBass

LionOnBass

Jul 10, 2018
    Germany
    Those DR Legend flatwound strings sound and feel great on the P 5. They are the complete opposite of the normal Hi-Beams, which I love on the bass, too. I can't decide, I have to play them a bit longer in different band settings.

On things confuses me about the DR Legends:
    The back of the package says those strings are wound on a hexcore. The online shop says roundcore.
    Which info is correct?

9. DR Legend GUITAR strings = Hex core.
    DR Legend BASS strings = Round core.

LionOnBass likes this.
  10. LionOnBass

LionOnBass

Jul 10, 2018
    Germany
    thank you! but why does the package say hexcore then?

11. Obviously someone at DR messed up. ;)

LionOnBass likes this.
  12. LionOnBass

LionOnBass

Jul 10, 2018
    Germany
    The DR legend flatwound strings are nice and smooth and flexible but very vintage-sounding and dull.
    But maybe not the right strings for my daily use.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  13. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    GHS Super Steels. Order Right Away. Order Today.

14. LionOnBass

LionOnBass

Jul 10, 2018
    Germany
    I can't get the GHS Super Steels here in Germany.

At the end I stuck with the Daddario Pro Steels 45-130. I love them for the P5.

Thank you for all the advices guys!

15. LionOnBass

LionOnBass

Jul 10, 2018
    Germany
    I strung my P5 with GHS pressurewounds 44-128 yesterday. They are a bit tight. I don't know if I like them or not.
    Seems to be tough to get the right strings for the P5 for me.

I tried so far:

Daddario Pro Steels 45-130: too mid scooped
    DR lo-riders 40-120 steels: too much zing, not enough balls.
    DR lo-riders 45-125 steels: too tight
    DR Legend flats:nice and fat sounding but lack of definition
    Elixir 45-135: lack of character.

Should I go back to chromes?

16. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

I put the Ernie Ball Cobalt flats back on my P5. Had thoughts of selling it until I put them back on. I prefer rounds, but the Cobalt flats on this bass are perfect! Definition with fat body.

LionOnBass likes this.
  17. LionOnBass

LionOnBass

Jul 10, 2018
    Germany
    How is there flexibility and tension? Are they almost round-like?

18. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

They are the same tension as Daddario XLs if I were comparing to rounds. Cobalts are hex core. I use Hi Beams on my other basses. Stiffer than those.

LionOnBass likes this.
  19. LionOnBass

LionOnBass

Jul 10, 2018
    Germany
    Thank you! I ordered a set of those cobalt flatwounds.

20. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Texas
    My new favorite string, and they are only new because I went round for a few years, are La Bella flats. I have some of the light gauge installed on a 34.5 inch scale and they are not that stiff/tense. In comparison to the Rotoscoped 77's which are installed on a 34 inch scale which are very firm. The La Bella's are stainless steel as well.

I also have a set of their Low Tension Flexible Flats installed and they are quite nice too. For rounds, I would echo the DR strings sentiments that others have already posted.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021