Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strings for my fretless - mwah

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by werbo1, Aug 21, 2005.

1. What steings do u think would best be suited to getting maximum mwah out of my fretless? I'm talking like Jaco mwah or even Mike Dimin's tone when he plays fretless.

How would Lo Riders or High Beams be? I have access easily to DR and D'Adarrio strings so a type of thsoe would be preferred

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I get plenty of it on my fretless with regular old D'addario XL's. I think the most important thing for mwah is that the strings be roundwound and use only the bridge pickup. After that, you're on your own.

3. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    I suggest the DR black beauties, or the GHS infinisteel

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I've got my fretboard poly'd, so I'm currently using D'addario ProSteels to happy results.

5. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
  6. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    FYI, Jaco used Rotosound Swing Bass strings. (On a fingerboard coated with boat varnish, of course.)
    As someone else said, I think the key is: low action and the bridge pickup. Also, plucking over the end of the fingerboard helps. And you have to listen, feel, and really coax the "mwah" out of it. The fingering hand contributes too-- if you don't use just the right pressure you can deaden the vibration and choke off the "mwah." A very heavy attack also doesn't help, IMHO.

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    In my book, your bass setup and your playing touch matter a whole lot more than DR rounds vs. D'Addario rounds.

8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

Amen to that.

But if we have to mention string types, I like the mwah I get from D'addario Chromes. XL's were great for this too-I just found them a little too trebly. The Chromes kept good mwah, while mellowing out the sound a bit.

My action is set pretty low, and as stated, plucking over the end of the fingerboard helps too.

9. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I've got nickel lo riders on my Zon fretless and they have a very nice bark to them. Hard to say on the mwah. My Zon has mwah no matter what strings I put on it.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    BTW, have I ever mentioned how much I hate mwah? Not the sound, just the term.

11. This man is right on the money.

Shed the technique before freaking out over the strings.