1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings for my Fretless P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mesa XI, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Mesa XI

Mesa XI

Feb 25, 2009
    I recently bought a Fretless '78 Fender P-Bass. I still have the strings that were on it when I bought it, and I've been hesitant to change them because I'm not too familiar with round wounds and what would work best for me.

I hate being compared to him, but I suppose it's true that I play quite a bit like Les Claypool. I don't need strings I can slap, I'll save that for my fretted bass, but I would like strings that are slinky enough to tap with. I'm a low tension, low action type player. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have a set of La Bella's, but I'm not sure they would have a low enough tension.

2. Mesa XI

Mesa XI

Feb 25, 2009
    disregard, should have looked at the forum before posting a new thread

3. wingmanborge

wingmanborge

Apr 12, 2012
    Depends on your fretboard - if it has a good layer of lacquer - roundwounds shouldn't be a problem. Jaco played with roundwounds. If you have an oiled fretboard, or a soft wound, you should be more carefull as roundwounds tend to "eat" the fretboard. Flatwounds and tapperwounds wont do that. Good luck

4. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007

If you are going to use flats, Thomastiks should work, a very growly sound that responds to a light touch and low tension as well. Your truss rod will like them..:) With anything else but flats, you will be chewing up the board over time......