Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings for my fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by downstairs, Jun 10, 2001.

1. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Hi, still new, though i have been registered for a while. I have a fretless P-bass, and i want to get new strings for it, the last flatwounds i put on it were ok but too bassy for my tastes. They were D'addrio Chromes or something, but they were dull colored strings. I need something to give me a halfway bright sound, but not too hard on the 31 year old neck, so i am completely open to suggestions. I mostly play punk/metal/grunge/thrash/goth music, very strange, but cool, so i need some good tough ones.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Don't really have an answer for you downstairs, just kinda taggin' my own query onto your... Has anyone used Elixirs on a fretless, and if so, whadjya think of 'em??

-robert

3. Well, if you want a brighter sound but with less fretboard wear, I'd have to suggest Elixers, they're roundwounds with a rubbery coating of some sort. I've played them, I didn't really notice the coating. Another option would be halfwound, groundwound, pressurewound; some round/flat hybrid, kind of a mix between the two. I've never played them though, so I can't give any first hand testimonial. Also, you could consider getting an epoxy coating on your fingerboard to protect it, then you could use any strings you want. Personally, I use flatwounds, but that's mostly because I like that flat bassy sound.

4. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    how much would these elixer strings run, and how much would an epoxy coating cost?

5. Elixers are $36.44 at http://www.juststrings.com/, so they're a little pricey, but they last longer than other strings. I don't know what they cost at music stores, but juststrings usually has pretty good prices. As for the epoxy, you could call a tech and ask what they'd charge for it, or you could do a search on how to do it yourself.

6. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    damn. well i have bass lessons tomorrow, i will bring it in and see how much it would be for them to put an epoxy on it and i know the guy mason, he might give me a discount.

7. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    well, i asked this guy evan about that, and he said that i would have to leave it and get it looked at, but i didn't have it right then, oh well, i will just try the elixer strings and hope for the best. it would help if i had a job....

8. It sure would, everything costs money. I wish I had a better job. Not enough to work for one of course.