Strings for my Jazz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dave44, Mar 4, 2003.

1. I have yet to replace the strings on my new Jazz (guitar tech replaced them with Fenders when he did the final setup) will do so in the near future. They are not bad but I miss the brightness and tone of the rounds. Have always used Rotosounds on my Ric and was always happy with them. The Ric has a well laqured finger board so damage from the round wounds were minimal, well the frets took the brunt of their assault. I was wondering I may have to take a diffrent approach to my Jazz as the finger board is a rose wood and will become gouged with the rounds. Any takes on what will give me that round wound sound with out the wear and tear.

Thanx Mo.
  2. :bassist: I have a 71 Jazz that I have owned since 81. I have tried every string that I can lay my hands on and the one I like best, no LOVE is made by GHS. Supersteels available in various gauges of course but I use the medium set which uses .105 or the E string. They are warm and beautiful sounding. If you tweek the amp just right, you can get a bell like sound similar to a Rhoades Piano. The real seller for me is that they last a long time due to the stainless steel outter wrap. I don't like boomers at all. By the time the get them stretched out enough to stay in tune, they are dead. I can't find Supersteels easily, but any GHS string dealer who doesn't stock them can order them for you. I usually get mine from Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center in Wheaton, Md. If you've never shopped Chucks, Check it out. They have it all. I also once had a Rickenbacker 4001S and I was never happier with the sound than when I used
    Rickenbacker strings. Also, remember some Rick models are for roundwound and some are for flat.
  3. id say DR Lo-Riders.... those are quite possibly some of the brightest strings i have ever heard.... go to DR's website and read about the technology they have behind them with the compression winding and stuff.. they last forever too... ive had the same set for like 3 months(a rarity) and the still sound brand new... i love them:bassist:
  4. I have a set on my 5 string. Nice but not as warm as the Supersteels. One player's opinion.
  5. IMO, Dean Markley BlueSteels are the shiznits.

They are a bit rough the first day through, but the highs are so crisp, I wouldn't say the lows are..."really" low or anything, but they are definitely nice strings.

I'm trying D'Addario strings next...if I don't like those I'm going back to my Dean's.

Right now I'm using Sadowsky strings. Bright as hell! But lose their brightness after a few days. Guess my hands are dirty. :D
  6. I've tried Dean Markley Blue Steels and D'Addario,
    both play well and sound good, but don't last. Additionally, D'Addario's are kind of expensive compared to many other choices.
  7. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I've tried a few brands on my Geddy Lee sig and I found my favs were DR high beams.

Especially when you've gotten them worked in after about 6 months. Brightness with the fit of about 6 months wear!