Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings for my Lakland...help!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by The Nanny, Jul 19, 2005.

1. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Looking for some advice. I just bough a Lakland Skyline 55-01 deluxe. The bass is 35" scale. I'm playing heavy metal covers (Metallica, GNR, Ozzy etc.), and I LOVE Duff's GNR sound (that's what I'm looking for). I'm looking for strings that will give me the sound I want, and that will fit the extra long scale AND through-body stringing.

So far, good options seem to be:
    - Rotosound RS66 Swing Bass (stainless steel)...what gauge? will I need x-long scale?
    - DR Low Riders (stainless steel)...what gauge?
    - Lakland...I love the factory strings, but Lakland's website says they are out of stock

There are so many types, I've never been picky before, but now I'm starting to pay more attention to this. Other string types? I'm most confused about gauges and what would work for me.

Thanks for any help you can give!

2. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    I had no problems with the .45-.125 set of Lo-Riders when I did have my 55-01.

3. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    I've used DR Low Riders .045-.130 strung through the body of my 55-02 and really liked them. You might want to try Hi Beams for more high end edge though.

4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    The Lakland Strings are GHS Stainless Steel.

I use D'Addario Pro-Steels (EPS170-5SL) and string it through the body.

5. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Yeah, I got my new 55-01 about 4 mos ago and I loved the sound of the stock strings that came with it. They still sound alright but I wanted to get some more to have em handy when I decide to change em out, besides ordering from lakland online, since they are out of stock you say, anyone else carry them? Are they exclusive to lakland shop? Do those pro steels sound similar? What other strings might offer similar tone? Thanks, ernie.

6. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    If you want that G-n-R sound get a chorus pedal.