1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for my new hollowbody bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

Dec 4, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    I just got a new Skyline Hollowbody from Lakland, and so far I love it to death. I put some Fender flats on it, and while it sounds good, it still sounds pretty modern and bright for flats. Do I just need to give the strings time to mellow out, or should I try something different? I've got a set of TI flats and some La Bella tapewound strings I could try, but I wanted to ask if anyone could make some recommendations before I restring and re set up the bass. I'm looking for a vintage mellow tone that would be appropriate for old school jazz, folk, and possibly some motown/soul.

2. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    I use DR Hi Beams on both my J Bass clone and '67 Rivoli. Both are flatwound and sound the best of the J and Riv of all the ones I've tried. Also like GHS Boomers, but after that they all seem pretty much the same to me.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    uh, what? Hi Beams are most definitely rounds, and bright, OP wants flats and not bright, correct?

4. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

Dec 4, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    I think that he meant the DR flats. They used to be called hi beam flats, but now they're called legends. I have heard good things about them though, might be worth trying. I think that I'm going to see if my TIs will fit this bass tonight. They're cut for an in line headstock, but they should fit. Then it just depends on the tone!

5. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Fender flatwounds, like all flatwounds, will take a while to break in; usually a little longer than other types of strings. Play the snot out of them for a while, and then see how you like them. I have a set of Fender flats on my '78 P-bass; they're still a little bright, 'cause I'm playing a couple of other basses at the moment, but with the mute in the bridge cover, they're beginning to sound like they should. I also have the La Bella flats on a couple of basses, and the tapewounds on one as well. You can't go wrong with any of them, IMO, but give those Fender flats a chance to break in and (hopefully) impress you.:)