Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings for my Warwick FNA Jazzman

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BLU Dragon, May 23, 2004.

1. Well, I finally changed the strings that came on my Warwick FNA Jazzman. I decided to try DR High Beams. I understand that these strings are pretty popular here on TalkBass for Warwicks. However, I can't say that I'm crazy about how they sound. I suppose they do sound more "balanced," tonally speaking. But they also lose that prominent mid-range bark that, to me at least, is the whole point of playing a Warwick.

I actually loved the sound of the Black Labels that came on the bass. I thought that they seemed to die rather quickly, though. (Can't say for sure, though, since I have no way of knowing how long that bass hung on the wall at GC and got pounded on by an unknown number of players before I bought it.) Nevertheless, after just a couple of months or so, the strings lost all of their vibrancy and "aliveness." Strangely enough, this all happened over the course of about a week. They went from sounding brand new to sounding pretty dead almost overnight. This struck me as very weird. The D'Addario XL's that I string my Fender Jazzes with die out much more gradually, and Fender basses always seem to sound good even with old strings, although the "sweet spot" (for me) is when the strings are between 2-6 months old.

I'm trying to decide if I should just keep it strung with Black Labels (and just change the strings more often than I'm accustomed to), or if I should try something else. I guess what I'm looking for is strings that sound like the Warwick Black Labels, but continue to sound fresh a little longer. Question #1 (for those of you who keep Black Labels on your Warwicks) would be, how long do you usually keep the strings on there before they start to sound dead? Is this really a problem, or did I just buy a bass that already had some of the life played out of the strings when I bought it? Those of you who've decided to try another brand, what did you find that works?

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

2. wash your hands everytime before you play, and clean your strings and they wont die. Dirt, grime, and unkept strings make them fade.... get some Dunlop string cleaner/polish- theyll glide, stay crisp, and sound great. Wouldnt be a bad idea to get the hwole cleaning/polishing kit either- your strings should rest on a real clean fretboard, and be played with real clean hands, they will last forever brah- esp with these alcohol techniques.

3. Don't have a Warwick, but I know that DR Fat-Beams have more mids than Hi-Beams. And though the also have more lows, they're not the deepest and punchiest strings out their. I'm pretty happy with my new Blue Steels, which seems to have the perfect blend of lows, mids and highs. Many aren't too keen on Blue Steels though. They die too fast they say. I have yet to see how long they last, as I only had them on for 'bout a week.

4. Thanks for the advice, Cory. I haven't really had problems before with strings dying out too soon, but I suppose that oil and grime probably is a major source of the problem. I am certainly considering using alcohol to restore the original Black Labels until I can put some other strings on it.

Carl-Anton, I bet you're right about the Fat Beams having more midrange than the Hi Beams. I think that part of the problem is that I chose strings that are too light a gauge. I'm getting the sense that the Warwick likes heavier gauge strings than I'm accustomed to putting on my Fenders. It's been awhile since I've tried Blue Steels. As I recall, I thought that they were O.K., but not great on my Jazz Bass. Might sound great on the Warwick, though, since I also seem to recall that they had a fairly "aggressive" tone which is precisely what I'm looking for with the Warwick.

Any other comments or suggestions?