1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for NS Bolin bass w/ piezo PUPs

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tkauf, Mar 17, 2008.

1. tkauf

tkauf

Sep 6, 2003
    Hi Everyone

I recently bought a used NS Bolin 5-string. Wow, what a fantastic bass.

I'm a bit surprised by the sounds of the piezo PUPs, however. I have a piezo bridge in my NS CRM5 upright, and I have nowhere near the kind of sound --- unwanted string noise -- that the guitar produces.

The main difference is, the guitar's piezo bridge picks up EVERYTHING that is going on with the string. My fingertips touching the string when playing sound like rocks dropped into a bucket of water.

The previous owner had put round wounds on this bass and that may be contributing to the awful string noise that comes thru when using the piezo's on their own. (Obviously, if I blend the piezo's with the mag pickup, and keep the piezo turned way down, problem solved.)

So my question is...what kind of string takes advantage of the piezo PUP ?

By the way, this bass is currently fretted but I want to have a local luthier de-fret it.

thanks

2. tkauf

tkauf

Sep 6, 2003
    So....

No one has an opinion about this? :confused:

Amazing!

3. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I'm not familiar with the Bolin at all (gorgeous basses, but not made any more, no?), so all this is provided with a grain of salt. Thomastic Acousticores were designed specifically for piezo basses. They have no iron content, though, so would not work with the mag pups at all. Rob Allens come with tapewounds, I think LaBellas, and they have plenty of iron content for the mag pups. Both, I would think, would cut down a lot on the noise compared to clanky roundwounds. The Thomastic Jazz Flats might also be worth a try, depending on what you're after.

4. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    7flat5 sums it well.

I have a large collection of piezo basses (my piezo posse) and have great affection for LaBella tapes.

For a bit more "metal" I've been using d'addario flats and recently some very cool gold plated strings from Pyramid.

I've liked the sound of Elixirs--the coating is a nice mix with fretless.

5. Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flats are a popular choice for a low-tension flatwound string. Still with great definition to the tone and not as 'dull' as some other flatwounds can be.

Or Tapewounds might be a good choice. If you want more of a roundwound tone with a flatwound feel, but without the string noise.

Those Bolins are sweet basses! :smug:

6. tkauf

tkauf

Sep 6, 2003
    Thanks, guys. Yes, the NS Bolin is no longer made, but it is a great instrument.

I was thinking of tape-wound also. Does Labella make a set 5 string (low B) set for 35" scale?

I have a spare set of Elixirs for my fretless BG that I may try on this new Bolin...:bassist:

7. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Yes. I have a set on a 5-string 35" bass and the normal (not extra long) set works fine with a normal bridge. Got mine at Carvin. Their price is lowest by far, but the shipping hurts.