1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for PUNK?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KingRazor, Sep 20, 2010.

1. My favorite genres of music, and the ones I enjoy playing the most, all have roots in punk. So a good punk tone is what I'm looking for. I'm already going to take the first big step and get a P bass. (Although I'm getting a nice one as opposed to an old beater, I know that's very "un-punk" of me :p).

I wanna know if you guys have any suggestions for good strings to go with this?

I'm not actually playing punk, just stuff that's rooted in it (alternative, post-hardcore, all that kinda stuff), but that's the tone I'm after.

Good example of what I'm after:

http://www.lakland.com/multimedia/audio/glaub/16 glaub_pickpunk_rounds.mp3

2. j_nition

j_nition

Jul 28, 2009
    my vote goes to d'adarrio pro-steels. I would play them all the time if I allways used a pick but I need to play fingerstyle too, so it's DR lowriders for me.

3. Interesting, pro steels are what I have on my current bass!

I play fingerstyle though currently, I'm really bad with a pick :p

4. A pick makes a massive difference to your sound. i still like the feeling of fingerstyle though.

5. Yeah I just haven't developed the control or dexterity needed to play with a pick. Probably going to have to fix that if I want to get into this style of music.

6. I do about 60% fingers and 40% pick.

I use a Peavey T-20 as my main, and an SX P/J as a backup... on both i have DR Hi-Beams (45-105, IIRC).

Don't really like 'em out of the box... but after a week or two of constant playing, the tone is spot on!

7. Ernie Ball roundwound strings.

8. Really not a fan of Ernie Ball strings, they just feel/sound cheap compared to D'Addarios.

I'll probably listen to Ed Friedland's reviews he did of some various DR string sets. DR has been growing on me lately. (On paper, that is. I still haven't actually tried their strings yet.)

9. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I use sadowsky stainless steels and they work for me... Both on my active and passive basses 4 and 5 string.

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Myself I'm not a fan of daddario strings. The decrease the instruments crunch factor to my ears making for a mellower sound. Ernie Ball, GHS Boomers, or Rotosound would be my pick.

11. cap'n crunk

cap'n crunk

Apr 6, 2010
    California
    Old and rusty barbed wire with the barbs stripped off. Or, if you're extra punk, leave the barbs on. Oi!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021