Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings for Rickenbacker

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by thomas, Sep 14, 2001.

1. What kind of strings do you use on your Ric? Due to the paperwork that came with my bass I'm somewhat paranoid now about changing string 'cause I don't want to warp my neck or something. I want to keep a nice bright sound, I'm perfectly happy with the strings it came with, I just don't feel like spending the money on strings from Ric.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Your profile shows you have a 4003, which allegedly can handle any string type. It's the older 4001 that you need to be careful with, and only then while adjusting the truss rod.

I've recently put GHS Pressurewounds on my Ric, and really like them so far. Plenty of roundwoundish zing, but less finger noise.

3. Are the pressurewounds the ones that have sort of an oval shape to the winding wire?

4. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The Rick 4000 series with Rotosound Swing 66's is the classic Rick set-up. But I found DR Hi Beams are an acceptable substitute that lasts longer.

6. I've got a 4001V63, (able to handle any string), and have been just using the stock nickel Rick strings, just because I really like their sound and saw no need to switch. But I recently put a set of TI Powerbass strings on my Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, and I love them! The Powerbass strings are nickel rounds with great tension and amazing consistency of tone, and quite bright. Plus, they should last quite awhile.

I'm going to put a set of these on the Rick when it's due.

7. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    Does anyone have an on-line source for RIC strings? (Besides RIC, that is. Someone's must be selling them for less than list price!)

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    If you mean actual Rickenbacker brand strings, try The Rickenbacker Page . Good people, but I'm not sure if the strings are discounted.

9. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    Yeah, I was wanting to buy actual RIC brand strings as replacements because of the odd gauge (45-55-75-105). The Rick Page has them listed for full list price at $30/set.

What are your experiences with the 4003? Is this odd set with smaller-than-usual A and D strings necessary?

10. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have a 4001, and really can't tell if the nut was ever modified. I'm using a 40-54-76-96 set of GHS Pressurewounds to keep the neck tension down...

11. Thomastik-Infeld Powerbass strings, they're $40 a pop but they are worth it! Your Ric will sing like you would have never thought possible. I just strung they up on my new 4003 yesterday and trust me, these things would be worth buying if they were a hundered bucks a set!

12. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    Hey Brett...what gauge of TI's are you using?

13. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    I respectfully disagree. The classic Rick setup is flatwounds. All the early classic recordings, from Macca to Dick Roby on the Castaways' "Liar Liar", were made with flats.

I use Pyramid Gold flats. Expensive but worth every penny.

Craig H: I believe TI offers only one gauge set of the Powerbass, .047/.107.

14. FatCity

FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
    Is this the gauge of strings that comes on a 4003? I just bought one but prefer flats. Would it be fair to assume that the Ernie Ball flat Group III 45-65-80-100 would be a safe and suitable string to use?

Thanks in advance,

FatCity

15. Pet

Pet Guest

Mar 8, 2003
    all over
    Being an experienced owner of a Rickenbacker, I've found that both flatwounds and roundwounds sounded good, but the Rickenbacker is known for it's sustain, and piano-like tone, and by using flatwounds, it takes away some of these unique characteristics, which define a Rickenbacker bass from all other ordinary basses.