Strings for Rockabilly?

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by Bass, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Johnny1958

Johnny1958

May 2, 2007
    Montreal
    Hey Bass, The Brains Rocks! But i'm not from it. We're an upcoming band. We've played for some time now but just getting started soon to network.
    Thanks for the info on the strings, the solo F drop 1/2 tone! mmm!! The E string on my bass is floppy, got not much sound from it! why i would fancy Med gauge i guess!
    How would Thomastik Spirocore Med rank for all around good tone for slaping and magnetic amplification?
    are these the ones i refer too?
    I see S42 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330194219235&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014

Or These listed as 3/4 solo?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190174107671&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009

Is solo means extra light?

Johnny P.

PS. I'll shoot the Q over at RB.c

2. msabp

msabp

Mar 24, 2007
    Different basses ask for different strings. Aside from that it's mostly opinion.

3. Johnny1958

Johnny1958

May 2, 2007
    Montreal
    Yep Different Bass, different strings, different setup, different player :D
    I also hooked up with RB.com :cool:

I'm gonna get Thomastik Superflexible Solo's :bassist:

4. KrispyJones

KrispyJones

Dec 3, 2006
    i did use spiros solo and they had a little bit more tension than the superflexibles solo. the superflexibles are the "loosest" strings i tried besides guts and supernils! at least the loosest steels i ever played and i tried a lot of different strings !

+1 for superflexibles solos ! they rule ! i tried a lot and theyre really good strings !

you can hear a studio recording with superflexibles solo
    recorded with a mic and a little bit of mag pu signal

http://www.myspace.com/elephantcircus

theres also SLAP bass in following songs (which i mostly play with my main band):

Let's Go California
    and God's Grace (please scroll down )

5. redhot

redhot

Nov 11, 2006
    I,ve been playing gut strings for over 20 years and have always been complimented on my tone. What I'd like to know is has anyone bought these gut strings from India off of EBAY?
    If so how was the quality? Did they arrive quickly?
    thanks

6. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    My vote for best all around strings for slap & pizz playing goes to the Innovation Silver Slaps. Hands down best strings I've played (so far:)).

They have a fat thumpy sound, nice gutty slap, awesome feel, but have plenty of definition and just a touch of brightness. Their tension, to me, is perfect - nice and easy tension, but snaps back quick - not flubby at all.
    They were staying in tune within a couple days, too.

Not too expensive, either. I love em. Best synthetic string out there for Rockabilly, IMO.

7. airtime323

airtime323

May 25, 2008
    Hi i have tryed most but now use nylon-E&A steel-D&G sounds fab unamped

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021