1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings for shortscale... Just cut down a 34" set?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Apr 26, 2009.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Today a friend of mine told me that I should not trim my 34" longscale strings (chromes) to fit my shortscale sx P bass. He says the tone will be thinner because the strings will not have enough tension.... This is because shortscale strings have a thicker core and therefore have higher tension.

True?

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I don't know if the core thing is true or not, but you could easily order your Chromes in the correct scale length from JustStrings.com... I get my Chromes from them in all four scale-lengths. Good prices and uber-fast shipping...

OTOH, plenty of folks cut 'em... I don't like to, and haven't done so in years, but it may work fine for you...

-robert

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I used to buy chromes and cut them, but they are higher tension. With lower tension strings I would want a heavier E than on the long scale set. Take a look at the TI flats (which are low tension) short scale set vs the long scale set.

The problem with cutting down long scale sets is that you might have problems with the width of the string at the tuner. I was lucky that all my short scale basses had full size tuners, although neck dive becomes a problem.

If you can get short scale strings in what you want, get them. This is the surest method.

4. Regardless what others may do, I do not care to take a chance on some expensive bass strings unraveling because I cut them down. These two sites have the widest range of short scale strings, and they can be had in just about any gauge or type.
    www.juststrings.com
    www.bpstrings.com

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Besides the string unwinding issue, is there a difference in tension between a short and long scale string that are the same gage/brand etc?

I'm not sure that it makes sense that ss strings have a bigger core. For example, the labella FLs are the same gage (043 060 082 104) for both long and shortscale sets.

Surely, if the core were thicker on shortscale strings the gages would be higher, right?

6. That may depend on the manufacturer and how they approach short scale strings VS long scale construction. I have never read anywhere where they make a difference in construction between the two, but it might be true. I have used Fender Super Bass strings in both long and short scales in the same gauge. The short scaled version tended to be a little less tensioned, at least in my experience, than the long scaled version in the same gauge. It was easier to bend and finger, so I do not think they made them with thicker cores.
    Email Peter D'Addario about thier strings and ask them what they do with them between scales.

7. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I've heard that also (that short scale strings have a thicker core), but I'm not sure how much that affect string gauge, because couldn't less/more wrappings mean a lighter/heavier string gauge?