strings for sire v7?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by afroblue, Oct 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. afroblue

afroblue

Oct 25, 2012
    I put thomastik jazz rounds on my sire - wondering what other people have used and like? Was thinking of tapewounds. I think a higher tension string than the jazz rounds might suit better (as the neck is so straight, make use of the ability to get low action?).

2. Morning all
    Sorry to add to your post Afroblue, but it is the same question...
    I now have flats on my Yamaha RBX and more recently on my Overwater Jazz basses and am completely knocked out by the tone and playabilty of both. I am no looking at my Sire V7 5 string bass and wondering if I should replace the original XLs.
    Anyone here done the same? What is the tone like?

Thanks

3. Yolly111

Yolly111

Oct 27, 2013
    I just changed the original strings of my V7 with TI flats.

I was surprised by the tone in the sense that I was expecting something much more mellow, but the difference with the original strings was not as big as I expected. I think this is also due to the fact that the preamp lets you dial many different sounds, and this still the case with flats installed. On a P where you only have one tone knob, I am sure the difference in strings is much more apparent.

So all in all, the difference for me was more in the playing comfort than anything else... A bit more mellow, a bit less bright and less finger moving sounds.

Peter Mathews likes this.
  4. You can have a straight neck, no matter what strings you have. Just have to adjust the truss rod accordingly.

5. Ironbar

Ironbar Inactive

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    I put my go-to strings- DR Nickel Lo-Riders on my Sire V7 and it has more growl now. (Which is what I wanted). DR for the win!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021