Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strings for slap bass

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by jimbass55, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Howdy,

:D :D

Hello all, I am hoping you guys can share some of
    your experience with me. I currently have supernyl's and I am pretty satisfied with them, other than the E string. What do you guys suggest for playing Rockabilly/old country slap stuff. I am looking to experiment around so if you guys have any used strings drop me a line. Thanks.:cool: :cool: :cool:

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    What about gut strings?
    It seems many players for that style of playing use gut strings.

3. Jim, there is a set of Labella gut strings on ebay right now if you want to try them.
    I also have a set of Supernyl`s and like you say the sound is ok, but i don`t like the feel of the windings.They can also produce some string noise which can be annoying.
    Another alternative to try,if you can find them,is the Innovation RB set.They are a lot thinner than Supernyls and feel more like steel strings under the fingers,but have lower tension.They are kind of pricey(around £125 in the UK),and some say the tone leaves a bit to be desired,but i have found them to be at least as good as,if not better than the nylon strings and without the finger noise.

4. hillbilly

hillbilly

Aug 10, 2001
    there never has been and never will be a substitute for plain gut.The only answer.
    Bobby D.