Strings for slapping

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jazzin', Jul 16, 2004.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

what strings are best for slapping? but are still versatile enough to do everything else well too. for a 4 string also, and im used to the size of strings i have now which are(i think) .45 - 1.00
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Roundwounds, obviously. :) Some slappers prefer nickel rounds because they tend to give a cleaner "ping" than stainless steel.

I'd suggest D'Addario XL nickel rounds... they're good strings, easy to find, and not very expensive. They're made in a variety of gauges.
  3. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I play DR Lowriders and I've always found that they had a good slapping tone and were pretty versatile all around.
  4. Jazzin'

the ones i have now are the ones that came with my bass, i think theye like fenders or something, im not sure exactly what kind. but i think they are nickle and roundwounds.
  5. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    I use Cheap strings - then I can change them all the time. They cost about 100 usd for 12 sets - then I can always get the Marcus Miller sound.

It's a Danish website so I'm not posting a link - unless someone wants it. :p

By the way it's nickel round wounds as well
  6. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    I'd like to see that link.
  7. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark - enjoy if you can read Danish. Surely there must be similar pages in other languages

9. ESP Eden

ESP Eden

Feb 9, 2004
    washington mo
    DRs are really great. They have changed my life. I prefer Hi Beams for slapping. My E just broke today. It really sucks. Does anyone know where to get hi beams 110-50. :help:
  10. basmeisje

Jun 7, 2004
    DR Lo riders for me
  11. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
  12. Jazzin'

i used to have blue steels on my old bass, they were pretty good, but then i sold my bass.
  13. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I like DR's, Smith's and La Bella Slappers. GHS and D'Addario's are good too. I think you have to find the string that is good for you. There are lots of them out there. If I had to pick one set though, it would be DR Lo Riders for slapping.
  14. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    DR lo riders for me as well, use em on my stingray, sounds excellent for slap. they last long too.
  15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dr's seem to be the favorite so far. I use Elixirs because they last a long time.
  16. Me too. They sound great!
  17. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    SIT Powerwounds. If you buy them, you'll sound just like Marcus! :bag:

Okay, maybe not, but they are great strings! :bassist: