1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for Squier CV60's Jazz and Affinity Jazz Bass V

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PrietoBass, Apr 25, 2010.

1. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that?

Apr 16, 2009
    Hi,

In my search for "the perfect string" I replaced the stock strings my basses came with (after about six months) to DR FatBeams. I like them, but their winding length is 37.5" so the E on the Classic Vibe and the B on the Affinity V do not taper down before winding on the tuning peg.

On my Affinity Jazz the thickness of the un-tapered B string around the tuning peg made tuning and intonation a problem. I finally got tired and replaced the B string with a .130 D'Addario XL Nickel Would (using a .130 string is tip #62 on Gary Willis' 101 Bass Tips book). I like how that B sounds now.

I've been looking at the original Fender strings my basses came with (Fender 7250ML Nickel-Plated Steel Long Scale 45-100 on the Classic Vibe, Fender 7250-5M Nickel-Plated Steel Long Scale 5-String 45-125 on the Affinity Jazz V).

I also have been considering the D'Addarios XL Nickel Wound for my basses. One thing I've looked all over but can't find (except for the D'Addarios) is string tension data. I'm concerned that, my Squires being budget basses, the necks are not up to the (potentially) higher tension of different (higher gauge) strings and that it will cause the necks to warp.

Does anybody know the string tension data for the string brands I mentioned above (Fender 7250s, DR FatBeams, D'Addario I already know). How much of a concern this is on the Squier basses listed: CV60, AJV? Does the .130 B make sense?

Thank you for your comments.

2. I owned a Squier Affinity Jazz Bass V for a year. In that year, I had it strung with:
    Fender 7250-5M (45-65-85-105-125)
    D'Addario ECB81-5 Chromes XL Flatwound (45-65-80-100-132)
    Ernie Ball 2821 Power Slinky (50-70-85-105-135)
    Ernie Ball 2836 Regular Slinky (45-65-80-100-130)
    Rotosound RS665LD Swing Bass (45-65-80-105-130)

After all of these different sets of strings, the neck held up marvelously. I never adjusted the neck (probably should have, but everything seemed pretty good.)

My favorite were probably the Ernie Ball Power Slinky, but that's probably because I didn't give the Chromes a good enough chance on this bass. The Chromes are my favorite string in general.

The Jazz V sounded pretty good with a fresh set of Ernie Ball strings on it. I'd say they were my favorite rounds on that bass. The 135 B was nice and tight. It felt really good, and the strings sounded pretty great, too.

Hope this helps, and sorry it was a novel.

3. PrietoBass

Apr 16, 2009
    I hear many people talking about the Ernie Balls but I've also heard that they don't last long, or that when they die they die miserably on the spot. What was your experience with them?

4. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

I thought the recent Squiers came with D'Addario XL's on them. I know the ones hanging in stores now do.

5. PrietoBass

Apr 16, 2009
    Hmmm. That's interesting. Is it possible the shops are changing them? It looks like Squier hasn't updated their product specs...

...from Squier's web site:

Classic Vibe 60's Jazz
    http://www.squierguitars.com/produc...5&name=Classic+Vibe+Jazz+Bass%26reg%3B+%9260s

Affinity Jazz V
    http://www.squierguitars.com/produc...rtno=0301575&name=Jazz+Bass®+V+(5-String)

6. Anyway, I bought my bass in July 2008. It came with the Fender strings, which I thought sounded pretty good. However, I ended up (after the D'Addario Chromes I installed) throwing a set of Ernie Ball Power Slinky on that bass. They sound really, really good. However, they do indeed die faster than I would have liked. I didn't do much research and never found a string that sounded like the Power Slinkies, yet lasted longer..

Hope this helps.

7. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Hmm...learn something new everyday. I wasn't trying to derail the thread. This being the case, then I would recommend the OP trying a set of XL's. ;)

8. PrietoBass

Apr 16, 2009
    Yes it does. Thanks!

9. PrietoBass

Apr 16, 2009
    They're now on my to-try list. Thanks!