strings for stingray5?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cephas45, Nov 3, 2001.

1. for you stingray/stingray 5 owners, i was wondering what type of strings you use on your bass. i'm currently using DR HiBeams and I think I'm ready for something different. These puppies are a little to bright on my Stingray5 i think.
  2. stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    Ive tried alot of different strings on my different basses, and my alltime favorites overall are dr lowriders. But for my money on my stingray 5 the best strings ive found for that bass are the.....
    dramatic pause.....

You guessed it.
    The Ernie Ball 5 string set.

Nothing else sounds right for some reason. And if you ever feel the need to brighten up your sound on that bass, i recomend just boosting the treble a little bit.
  3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    On a lark, I recently tried the Pedulla Stainless Steel 5 string set on my Ray5. Didn't work for me, they were too dark for my taste but had an awesome grunt to them. My latest set is DR Fat Beams which aren't as bright as the Hi Beams but still have that DR type sound.

Good luck

PS there's always flatwounds!
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I agree. That's the conclusion I came to, also. I own two 'Ray 5's and gig 'em a lot.
  5. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    My friend who has a 'Ray5 uses Ernie Ball 5 string Slinkies. They're the strings that come with the bass, and Ernie Ball strings rule. He used to use DR sunbeams and he didnt like them at all, so I recommended the EBs and he hasnt looked back since. :cool:

I think the only gauge they come in is 45-130. The 130 B is nice and tight though!
  6. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Peavy Cirrus 5-strings, not too bright, but sound really good.